Runscope

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

can anyone tell me brief comparision between serial file and multi file in AB Initio

• 1.  can anyone tell me brief comparision between serial file and multi file in AB Initio

Posted May 16, 2019 12:17 AM

What are the brief comparisons between a serial file and a Multifile in Ab Initio?

• 2.  Re: can anyone tell me brief comparision between serial file and multi file in AB Initio
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2019 08:40 AM

Hi Priyanka :

Not sure why you are asking a strictly third-party question in an APM group. But I'll bite. 

A quick Internet search revealed 

etl - Difference between serial file and multi file in AB Initio - Stack Overflow 

serial file will contain the data directly.

However a multi file will contain the partitions in which the data will be contained. Once each of the partitions are opened separately then the data in it will be displayed. We use 'cat' for serial files and 'm_cat' for multi files. However if 'cat' is used to open a multi file it will just show the name of the partition files.

Typically the serial and multi file directories will differ in containing a file called .mdir. The .mdir will contain all the partitions that the multi file system will refer to.

Performance wise multi files will increase speed of execution of a graph since the data will be processed in parallel. However in a serial file the same data will processed in sequence.