CA Configuration Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What the difference between running a discovery + component inventory using CCA Agente / SSH user (with sudo)?

• 1.  What the difference between running a discovery + component inventory using CCA Agente / SSH user (with sudo)?

Posted May 11, 2015 11:40 AM

We are trying to avoid to enable SSH access for an CCA user.

Instead of it, we want to install CCA agent in all servers of our environment.

Is there any difference of quality of information using CCA agent or SSH user to discovery or component inventory?

• 2.  Re: What the difference between running a discovery + component inventory using CCA Agente / SSH user (with sudo)?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2015 12:28 PM

Hi,

There is no difference in the quality \ items discovered; only performance and protocols differ in those to methods.  (CCA Agent performance is much better)

Regards,

Adnan

• 3.  Re: What the difference between running a discovery + component inventory using CCA Agente / SSH user (with sudo)?

Posted May 12, 2015 07:51 AM

Hi Adnan, thank you for your answer.

What about NDG? Can I run the network discovery without SSH access method configured? Since I have the client agent installed of course.

Best Regards,

Leandro

• 4.  Re: What the difference between running a discovery + component inventory using CCA Agente / SSH user (with sudo)?

Posted May 12, 2015 11:59 AM

Hi Leandro,

NDG does not use CCA Agent even if it is installed, unlike component discovery. You would need to be able to SSH into the Unix server to perform NDG Discovery.

Regards,

KS

• 5.  Re: What the difference between running a discovery + component inventory using CCA Agente / SSH user (with sudo)?

Posted May 12, 2015 12:28 PM

Hi KS,

My problem is we don't want to enable the SSH/WMI access into the servers.

Can component discovery fill the Server Detail fields as NDG discovery does?

We have CCA r12.7 and it seems it isn't possible.

And if it isn't possible, it means that SSH x Agent method can't get the same result.

But I think I read somewhere that the newest version of CCA allow to fill Detail Fields with component discovery (bluprint discovery).

Do you know something about that or wich version has this resource?

Thank you a lot!
    Regards,

Leandro

• 6.  Re: What the difference between running a discovery + component inventory using CCA Agente / SSH user (with sudo)?

Posted May 12, 2015 01:16 PM

Hi Leandro,

Network discovery and Component Discovery are two different entities. NDG requires SSH/WMI access into the servers to fetch Server Details fields.

CCA 12.8 SP02 is the latest release and the aforesaid has not changed until this version.

There is no information on whether it is going to change in the future release(s).

• 7.  Re: What the difference between running a discovery + component inventory using CCA Agente / SSH user (with sudo)?

Posted May 12, 2015 01:41 PM

Thank you KS!

That's all I needed to know. =)

Best Regards,

Leandro