DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  reporting or alerting on Transaction traces

Posted Dec 02, 2019 06:23 AM
    Edited by George_Samy Dec 02, 2019 06:37 AM
    Hello ALL

we need to report and alert on certain errors (or transactions long time) , but the interface either from the webview or workstation are very limited , and has no alerting method on transaction traces 
    any idea how to do that ?
    we even start using Grafana for dashboards , but we could use it  only on  metrics , but no interface to the transaction ,
    as per documentation , i could deal with them only from CLW but it is poor and with no alerts too.

I have a scenario in mind that need someone to validate and advice how to do it. can we create a metric that count a certain error message, and the result value would be the count of this error per interval, then we can create alert on it if it exceeds a certain value.

any only experience this situation before ?

best regards

------------------------------
    George Samy
    Deputy Manager
    Banque Misr
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: reporting or alerting on Transaction traces

Posted Dec 02, 2019 07:16 AM
    ​Hi

With respect to transaction long time, if you are using CEM/TIM to get the metrics into APM, you could set up a specific metric group on that transaction and count type and then alert from that.  I have done this to alert on transaction long times for a specific transaction previously that makes a call to a vendor soap service

For traces, I am not aware of a way to alert off transaction traces.

Thanks
    Lee

• 3.  RE: reporting or alerting on Transaction traces
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2019 03:44 AM
    Edited by Diane Craddock Dec 04, 2019 09:05 AM
    > For traces, I am not aware of a way to alert off transaction traces.

Transaction traces are actually there to provide information on the actual root cause. Help you to see why something happened.

What you describe here is partially what the current Team-Center in APM 11 (also 10.7.x) does. It identifies transactions which are outside the boundaries of what the system thinks is normal (according to some machine algorithms and history), in your case, long running transaction, and will help you to do assisted triage (this to identify the root cause). 
    Then, combined with OI, you can configure a service alert that will alert whoever is in charge or using Automic, execute some automation tasks to remediate (if it is repetitive and a known action to that issue is known and has been scripted/automated).

You could look into AXA (17.3.2 for APM 10.7.x, integration into APM 11) to detect long running transactions. It uses the google-API data provided by a browser, and sees the user view as experienced from the browser. And when correctly configured will show you the transaction trace of that long running transaction.

Last but not least, If you really want to go for a keyword in the request/response HTML from the HTTP transaction, you can go using the CEM/TIM (Works only on APM 10.7.x, 11 does not has a CEM/TIM anymore). Eventually the CEM/TIM replacement BPA (Business Payload Analyzer) can do what you ask, but that one is in early Beta. Note that the BPA has to be used with APM 11+.