DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  AXA android and ios app monitoring

Posted Sep 05, 2019 07:48 AM
    Hi Team,

I am trying to monitor an  android app through AXA and followed this link:
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-app-experience-analytics/17-3/en/configuring/collect-data-from-android-applications#CollectDataFromAndroidApplications-Step2-CollecttheApplicationData

My issues:
    1. To be able to see data on AXA console when we access the application, Does the app i am monitoring should be on google playstore as i am doing this for learning purpose
    2. After i finished wrapping my android application APK, is it mandatory to sign the certificate.
    3. How AXA instruments the application when the application is running locally on my mobile device as the android application is not on android playstore.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: AXA android and ios app monitoring
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2019 09:07 AM
    Hello Robert,
    The app doesn't need to be on Google Play Store and the app doesn't need to be signed if you can run it on a machine that accepts unsigned apks, this usually means to allow content from unknown sources. You should search the Internet for information on running unsigned apks on your device.
    If you did want to upload a monitored app to Play Store, it would then need to be signed.

Developers have to be able to run unsigned content for testing so it is possible to run without the apk being signed every time they make code changes.

The way our monitoring works is independent to the Play Store.

Generally Android apps as apk files are wrapped, either online through the UI of the product or using the command-line, that is the process that enables them for monitoring.
    Specifically when you use the command-line you specify a plist file, this contains URLs to show the location of the AXA software and profile, as long as these are accessible to users of the app, the data can come in. 

For iOS (since you put it in the title) again you would have to see if the device would be allowed to run unsigned content, from quick research this might be more difficult to do but since you pretty much have to have Xcode to enable iOS apps for monitoring, XCode has it's own emulator /simulator to run those apps.

Thanks,
    David