DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  anyone traced IBM WebSphere WorkManager before?

Posted Oct 23, 2012 09:56 AM
    im haeving a issue with a application using internaly IBM WebSphere Workmanager for some processing of data and im wondering if anyone tryed to trace this once already?

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.javadoc.doc%2Fpublic_html%2Fapi%2Fcom%2Fibm%2Fwebsphere%2Fasynchbeans%2FWorkManager.html

• 2.  RE: anyone traced IBM WebSphere WorkManager before?

Posted Oct 24, 2012 09:24 AM
    I have not trace the API, but there is some PMI data reported to show the consumption of work pools. This is eligible to be collected thru the agent.

• 3.  RE: anyone traced IBM WebSphere WorkManager before?

Posted Oct 24, 2012 04:32 PM
    What i really need is the traces. the PMI information does not realy help for my case. And i found out that by instrumenting the workmanager and the classes which are being handlet by it, i was able to get the different traces for the different workmanager threads.

What i dont have is the relation between the calling thread and the threads which are managed by the workmanager. Whats basicaly happening is:

I have a webcontainer thread which at some point is calling the workmanager to do e.g. 10 different data gathering and processing at once.
    Where the workmanager will spawn 10 threads, more or less in paralell, and the results are feed back after processing to the webcontainer transaction.

The difficulty i have now to relate this "1 to n" transaction in to one transaction view.

Even it is not really cross jvm tracing i enabled the option but as expected did not help.

• 4.  RE: anyone traced IBM WebSphere WorkManager before?

Posted Oct 25, 2012 07:18 AM
    Now, the you explain more, I don't know how the agent would allow the tracing of the workmanager API since it is running on a different thread and they are running parallel. You should be able to get Blame metrics however on the code that is executed. This sounds like a support case would be required.

• 5.  RE: anyone traced IBM WebSphere WorkManager before?

Posted Oct 25, 2012 04:41 PM
    well, i am able to trace the different transactions but there is no relation between them and the calling thread.

i have already a support case open and if i get something official from it i will let all know but i hoped maybe someone from the community did something similar, even just e.g. cross thread tracing which is one last parts in my puzzle :).

• 6.  RE: anyone traced IBM WebSphere WorkManager before?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 31, 2012 07:13 AM
    i got a reply from CA support and got informed that this is currently not possible with the IBM WebSphere WorkManager:

TT information is stored in the context of the thread. When logic is asynchronously dispatched the agent need to pass the TT context (Correlation ID) along in order for the TTs to be linked. This is what the SOA agents and other field packs do for targeted environments. Unfortunately we don't have an out of the box solution for IBM Work Manager.

• 7.  RE: anyone traced IBM WebSphere WorkManager before?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 07, 2012 12:08 PM
    Hi Aaron,

CA services colleagues have "stitched" together threads for similar requirements. Maybe talk to your local CA contact.

BR,
    Guenter

• 8.  RE: anyone traced IBM WebSphere WorkManager before?

Posted Nov 08, 2012 11:30 AM
    Hi Guenter,

yes we got this information that similar implementations where done :) but because the issue we where analyzing is now solved there is no one willing to pay for a better integrated solution for this for now i think.

The view we got by instrumenting the workmanager was by the way already more sufficient as we actualy where able to see the diffrent work manager transactions, the main thing which was missing after that is the relation between the transactions.

Maybe this is reconsidered or we do a generic enhancement request for the workmanager depending on how the usage of it will be in the future.

Thanks, Aaron

• 9.  Re: anyone traced IBM WebSphere WorkManager before?

Posted Oct 24, 2014 03:08 AM

interesting how many views this entry has, i will create a idea for monitoring IBM WebSphere Workmanager