DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Does CA APM Agent extension for IBM WebSphere MQ  support more than 9 Queue Managers configured in mq.monitor.list property?

Posted Nov 05, 2018 03:29 PM

18 Queue Managers are specified in mq.monitor.list in MQMonitor.properties but only 9 Queue Managers are displayed in Investigator. No errors are reported in the agent log file. I modified the configuration to specify *.monitor.manager=minimum" instead of the default .monitor.manager=recommended setting but that did not help.

Running CA APM 10.7 SP2 with EM cluster (MOM + 2 collectors) and a number of MQ Monitor Agent instances. (All are 10.7 SP2).

• 2.  Re: Does CA APM Agent extension for IBM WebSphere MQ  support more than 9 Queue Managers configured in mq.monitor.list property?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 04:40 PM

Hi Richard,

I checked on a possible 9 Queue Manager limit for mq.monitor.list but could not find anything.

Is it possible you have a clamp on the MQMonitor agent side or EM side?

• For the MQMonitor agent side check for a WARN message like "[WARN] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Absolute metric clamp of nnnnn reached, no more metrics can be created. Instrumentation on this application should be reduced". The IntroscopeAgent.profile has property "introscope.agent.metricClamp" which controls that.
    • For the EM side check the APM Status Console.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Does CA APM Agent extension for IBM WebSphere MQ  support more than 9 Queue Managers configured in mq.monitor.list property?

Posted Nov 05, 2018 07:14 PM

Thank you Lynn.

Clamping was the culprit.

The agent default clamping is 50,000 even if the clamp threshold is set to 1,000,000 in the collector.

I added introscope.agent.metricClamp=500000 to the IntroscopeAgent.profile as described in documentation:

Java Agent Properties - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 4.  Re: Does CA APM Agent extension for IBM WebSphere MQ  support more than 9 Queue Managers configured in mq.monitor.list property?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 07:46 PM

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear you found the root cause.

Normally for application based agents like Java/.NET we would recommend to increase the clamp property more gradually with care due to the potential impact on the application by an "over processing" agent. However for a standalone agent like the MQMonitor agent setting such a high value should not in itself cause a problem as long as the JVM sizing can handle it. 

Regards,

Lynn

• 5.  Re: Does CA APM Agent extension for IBM WebSphere MQ  support more than 9 Queue Managers configured in mq.monitor.list property?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 05:23 PM

I agree with Lynn, I have not been able to find any limitations.  Clamps is a possibility.