DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

• 1.  ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Posted Dec 21, 2017 05:09 AM

Hi, am i correct that we dont support ADO.NET/Hibernate (back-end technologies/framework) with IBM DB2 10.5.8?
    i suppose it based on the the info from the compatibility guide = "The .NET-based Agent can monitor the ADO.NET activities for specific databases just like SQL Agent does for JDBC activities in Java.", and DB2 is missing there for .NET.
    1. if it's not supported, do you have any suggestion/ideas/best practise what we can monitor from this combination and how we can get the most of it? fieldpack, epa, anything.

2. what we'll see under the backends metrics?
    thank you,
    stefan

• 2.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2017 01:27 PM

Currently its not supported.  Here is an Idea that was created for it.

ADO Entity Framework 7 Support 

Adding Hiko_Davis and Guenter_Grossberger to see if they can answer your other questions.

• 3.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2017 02:00 PM

Stefan,

Do you see any "unknown" backends or nothing at all? We should at least capture something, even if it's just an ODBC connection.

• 4.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Posted Dec 22, 2017 05:36 AM

it;s a request for coming PoC on 3.1 so i'd like to get prepared and show at least something otherwise unfortunately we wont see much from the .NET app. therefore if anybody has any idea/tip what to show/monitor in this case, i'll be more than thankful. it's ASP .NET, Ajax, Java script, Telerik controls + WCF hosted as Windows Service + ADO NET, nHibernate + IBM DB2 10.5.8

• 5.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 22, 2017 05:45 AM

What versions of WCF and .NET framework?

Can you find out the exact version of the ODBC driver they are using? It'll be helpful so I can take a look at it.

Also, do you see any socket connections monitored for the port from the app to the database? At a minimum, we should have socket metrics.

• 6.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Posted Dec 22, 2017 06:17 AM

it's .NET v4.5.2, but i dont know yet the WCF version. i'll ask them.
    it's a coming PoC on 3rd of January.

• 7.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 22, 2017 06:23 AM

While I work on this, I'll find out if someone from my team in EMEA can help.

• 8.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Posted Dec 22, 2017 06:52 AM

thank you Hiko!

i got the answer that they dont use ODBC. they are using IBM DB2 .Net provider and db2 client version 10.5.8
    WCF is their windows service on .NET 4.5.2.

is there anything you can suggest for it?

• 9.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 22, 2017 07:09 AM

Can you check PerfMonCollector and just PerfMon itself to see if you can get counts from the provider metrics?

I will check things out too see the best approach.

• 10.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Posted Dec 22, 2017 07:17 AM

i cant check it at the moment as i'll go the site just on 3rd of January, when the PoC is starting.

• 11.  Re: ADO.NET + IBM DB2 best practise

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 24, 2017 10:20 AM

Hi Stefan:

Matt gave the answer to the first question so marking as answered. However, feel free to continue working the backend metrics issue with Hiko and others. We look forward to hearing about your progress!