Legacy UserNov 09, 2017 04:53 PM

Legacy User

Legacy UserNov 09, 2017 05:06 PM

Legacy User

Legacy UserNov 13, 2017 02:54 PM

• 1.  CA APM performance

Posted Nov 09, 2017 02:48 PM

Hello,

What things you should consider to improve the performance of CA APM. My client's platform has high deployment times for dashboards with many metrics, sometimes they do not load and timemout events are recorded in EM.

Thanks,

• 2.  Re: CA APM performance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 03:02 PM

If you are an APM Admin/customer or CA partner, we would like you to be the first to respond to this important question. Thanks in advance for helping your neighbor.

• 3.  Re: CA APM performance
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 09, 2017 03:44 PM

Hi Nando68

try to find the bottleneck using following link

https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231167867

also try to increase heap size as much as you can. if you have 16 GB physical assign 12 GB heap.

use wild card in your metric grouping as less as you can. Reduce calculators. Reduce number of metrics / agent.  

try to deploy Infrastructure monitoring Management module and see

can you share the following.

Q1 how many collectors in on cluster do you have?

Q2 how many Agent do you have in your cluster

• 4.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 09, 2017 04:43 PM

Hi junwah,

thanks for your reply.

Q1 how many collectors in on cluster do you have?

5 collectors, rigth now one collector aout of cluster

Q2 how many Agent do you have in your cluster

66 Agents

• 5.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 09, 2017 04:53 PM

Hello,

• 6.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 09, 2017 05:06 PM

• 7.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 09, 2017 10:50 PM

66 agents are nothing for 5 collectors.

do the following

In IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties set:

• transport.outgoingMessageQueueSize=6000
      transport.override.isengard.high.concurrency.pool.min.size=10
      transport.override.isengard.high.concurrency.pool.max.size=10

• A restart of all EMs is required.

Step 2: Max heap size

In Introscope_Enterprise_Manager.lax or or EMService.conf set:

Change -Xms and Xmx value at least 6 GB. if you have total 16 GB assign 12 GB heap size.

• In this example, -Xms and -Xmx are both set to 1024m:

• lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Djava.awt.headless=false -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dmail.mime.charset=UTF-8 -Dorg.owasp.esapi.resources=./config/esapi -showversion -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=50 -Xss512k

• A restart of the EM is required.

if you still facing problem grep ERROR and WARN in IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.log and share with us. Delete logs before restarting so you will have fresh logs.

• 8.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 10, 2017 09:45 AM

Hi junwah,

I will review and apply your suggestions. This implementation is six years old, and when we received it the previous team was already doing bad performance, I think that more than 60% of the metrics that are registered are not used and partly because the agents are not 100% customized to the real need.

In my previous answers does not appear the cross EM (CE) that we have for now out of the cluster and that they average more than 3000 metrics per LPAR (based on a default installation for CE and SysView).

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

• 9.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 10, 2017 10:57 AM

What EM and Agent Version you have?

Also try to find how many metrics / agent you are receiving. I believe that some of your agents have more then 50K metrics which is causing this problem. 

there is a supportability MM in your management module editor. Can you send me the "metrics by agent" metrics grouping screenshots.

• 10.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 10, 2017 03:16 PM

For now we are in a hybrid platform and we are doing the version upgrade from 10.0.0.12 to 10.5.1.8

But the performance problems are dragged from 9.7.

The collectors are in 10.5 the agents follow in 10.0

(yellow mark) This agent is a EPAgent, is a custom old implementation, generates many metrics from POS messages analysis,
    but into the dashboards we are not using all metrics. Originally, these metrics were sent to Datamart, but this information is not downloaded today.

Thanks.

• 11.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 10, 2017 04:02 PM

I am 100% sure that this agent is a culprit. try to find following line is IntroscopeEPAgent.profile file and uncomment it. CA recommend clamp value 5000 but you can put 10000 if you want.

introscope.agent.metricClamp=5000

Restart the agent to reflect the changes. I hope this will solve your problem.  

• 12.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 13, 2017 03:17 PM

Thanks junwah,

As soon as I can plan the revision of the EP agent, unfortunately my customer has no testing environment, so I must coordinate the change to do it in the production environment.

• 13.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 13, 2017 03:28 PM

Hi Junwah,

I've review IntroscopeEPAgent.profile file and it have this definition

#################################
    # Clam
    #-----------------
    introscope.agent.metricClamp=150000
    #################################

• 14.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 14, 2017 12:21 AM

I never saw EPAgent has 150K metrics. What are you monitoring with this agent? can you share the plugins you enable in this EPAgent. also delete 0 from the clamp  value and every thing will be good.

Thanks

Junaid 

• 15.  Re: CA APM performance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2017 02:42 PM

Dear Junaid:

Thank you for your participation and helping Fernando. Greatly appreciated! 

• 16.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 14, 2017 03:52 PM

Our client is a bank and enabled a few years ago to carry out some banking operations from stores, as if they were made from a bank branch. These operations are performed through POS devices.

Without going into more detail regarding communication, these operations are received in MQServer and processed. For its monitoring, we replicate the MQ queue in another mqserver, some time ago an EPA plugin was implemented that generates metrics from another java process that is reading the MQ queue and analyzing the messages. In this way, performance metrics and statistics metrics of the transactions are generated according to the bank's requirement.

I do not know the problems for the previous support team and the reasons for both this design and the configurations that were applied to the EPA.

From my point of view, this whole process is totally inefficient and today it generates metrics that are useless.

However, thanks to your indications I have been able to sustain the inefficiency of the processes, in such a way that my client authorizes me to redo or improve the process of these processes that have been running for several years under these conditions.

Again, thank you very much for your help!!

• 17.  Re: CA APM performance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2017 05:09 PM

Thanks Fernando for sharing your questions/experiences. Much appreciated!

• 18.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 15, 2017 12:49 PM

Hello everyone,

Quite the contrary, thank you very much to all for clarifying my doubts and sharing your knowledge.

• 19.  Re: CA APM performance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2017 01:48 PM

When you start to talk about heap sizes greater than 8 - 10GB, you should be looking at enabling G1GC. You'll want to test to ratios for the configurations in your test environment, of course.

• 20.  Re: CA APM performance

Posted Nov 13, 2017 02:54 PM

Thanks Haruhiko