DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  What Oracle RAC node am I connected to?

Posted May 04, 2017 04:52 PM

All,

I'm using a 9.7 agent with a 10.3 EM.

We're using Oracle RAC.  I believe it's 12g with an 11g driver.  APM identifies the different RAC nodes individually in the metric tree using their host names, so I might have db01, db02, and db03, which are all part of the same logical DB.  However some of these nodes are in different data centers than my app server.  The response times are noticeably different.  That's no surprise, but what IS a surprise is that the response times are consistent for long periods of time, then suddenly change.

For example, suppose the investigator says I'm connected to db01 and I've been getting response times <10ms for hours or days.  Then all of a sudden those same queries start returning response times that are much higher, say 50ms.  Coincidentally, the other db nodes are about 40-50ms away from my app server.

I have a strong suspicion that new connections are being established to a node in another data center but are still reported under the previous/wrong node.  This is especially obvious when the connection switches from a far away data center to a closer one.  Suddenly my response times are coming back faster than the speed of light!

Does anyone know what's going on here?  I'm not super familiar with Oracle RAC, but it looks like connections are not always getting routed to the same node but APM reports them as if they were.

thanks

• 2.  Re: What Oracle RAC node am I connected to?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2017 05:34 AM

• 3.  Re: What Oracle RAC node am I connected to?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2017 06:51 AM

Hi John:

I hope Sridevi's response was helpful. Marking as answered. You may post followup questions as needed

Thanks

Hal German

• 4.  Re: What Oracle RAC node am I connected to?

Posted May 05, 2017 10:19 AM

Sorry, I should have been more direct in my subject line.

I really mean that I believe APM is not always reporting the correct node that I'm connected to.  That is, it might say I'm connected to db01, but really I'm connected to db02.  Read my original post for my reasoning.  Attached is a graph of response time for a particular node.  My theory is that when the response time went up, it's because I got reconnected to a different node in a different data center than I was originally.

thanks

DB response time spike

• 5.  Re: What Oracle RAC node am I connected to?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2017 10:31 AM

Dear John:

I am guessing that APM is reporting what is being passed to it from Oracle. Opening a case may get to the heart of the matter faster.

Thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: What Oracle RAC node am I connected to?

Posted May 16, 2017 03:37 AM

Hi. Hope this may help you. https://goo.gl/J5f7tm

And want to get trained on Oracle RAC? Mindmajix provides best Oracle RAC training. Online training by real time experts. Explore Online training and Oracle RAC course is aligned with industry needs & developed by industry experts. Attend free demo!