DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Introscope Agent exceptions

Posted Jun 15, 2016 06:40 PM

Hi All -

One of my tomcat servers with Introscope agent is throwing up a lot of following errors -

6/15/16 12:15:29 PM MST [ERROR] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Exception finishing method tracer for oracle.jdbc.driver.BaseResultSet.close

6/15/16 12:15:29 PM MST [ERROR] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Exception finishing method tracer for oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleResultSetImpl.close

6/15/16 12:15:29 PM MST [ERROR] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Exception finishing method tracer for com.sun.proxy.$Proxy113.close

6/15/16 12:15:29 PM MST [ERROR] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Exception finishing method tracer for oracle.jdbc.driver.BaseResultSet.close

6/15/16 12:15:29 PM MST [ERROR] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Exception finishing method tracer for oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleResultSetImpl.close

6/15/16 12:15:29 PM MST [ERROR] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Exception finishing method tracer for com.sun.proxy.$Proxy113.close

Introscope agent version is 9.5.5. I am not sure what is causing this error.

sqlagent.pbd:IdentifyInheritedAs: oracle.jdbc.driver.BaseResultSet              SQLAgentResultSets

But this pbd file is included in other tomcat servers as well, where I do not see this error. Any ideas?

Appreciate your help!!

Regards,

Payal

• 2.  Re: Intrscope Agent exceptions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2016 05:19 AM

It's quite possible the agent is clamped, you should look at the Metric Count and Historical Metric Count for the agent and see if their combined value is at least the value set in the Enterprise Manager for introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit in apm-events-thresholds-config.xml (if you have a cluster, you need to check this file on the collector that the agent reports to)

The error is basically telling you that we aren't going to generate any further metrics because the agent is clamped.

The overall behaviour is similar in later releases, only that we have changed these types of log message from ERROR to DEBUG.

To resolve a clamp issue, the quick solution is to raise the clamp but that's not the best option in the long-run.

The better option is to find out why the agent is clamped and reduce the amount of metrics, both in live and historically using Smartstor Tools.

• 3.  Re: Intrscope Agent exceptions

Posted Jun 16, 2016 01:25 PM

Hi David,

The agent is still reporting back to the EM. I can see the metrics getting generated. Is it possible that the agent is clamped but still reports?

Thanks,

Payal

• 4.  Re: Intrscope Agent exceptions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2016 01:36 PM

Does the logs or Investigator indicate that any clamping is taking place?

• 5.  Re: Intrscope Agent exceptions
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2016 01:40 PM

Hi Payal,

The agent will still report metrics but it would not report any new metrics, by new metrics I mean a metric name that has not reported before, but you will still get values for all metrics that already reported before the clamp came into place.

An obvious sign of a clamp is a red circle around the pyramid next to the agent name.

You could also observe in the APM Status Console that the clamp is active as, in the Workstation, the APM Status Console icon in the top-right will show up red.

Or you can open the APM Status console from the Workstation menu bar.

As I say, the best way to be sure is to check the metric count and historical metric count for the agent and compare that total against the value set in the configuration.

As Matt says, it's something we improved at agent release 9.6.

if it isn't that, we would need to see DEBUG logs so that we would get a stack trace for those errors and.look into a support case.

Thanks,

David

• 6.  Re: Intrscope Agent exceptions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2016 06:34 AM

Hi Payal:

Please let us know if David's note was helpful and the thread can be closed. Or if you have any followup issues

Thanks

Hal German

• 7.  Re: Intrscope Agent exceptions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2016 09:41 AM

Hi,

First check if what David replied with is affecting you, it could be that or some of the cases I came across and found that this was fixed in version 9.6.  If your Enterprise Managers are 9.6 or above, try upgrading your agent to 9.6. 

Thanks,
    Matt

• 8.  Re: Intrscope Agent exceptions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 17, 2016 07:24 AM

Hi Payal:

Some question and suggestions have been mentioned in this thread. Please respond with next steps including thread closure

Thanks

Hal German

• 9.  Re: Intrscope Agent exceptions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 20, 2016 09:24 AM

Hi Payal:

I have seen no response to the questions/suggestions posed several days backed. So marking as closed.

Thanks

Hal German