DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Installing New EM collector for Multiport-TIM

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Installing New EM collector for Multiport-TIM

Posted 10-14-2015 12:42 PM

Hi All,

We are planning to introduce/install a new EM collector for our newly installed Multi-Port TIM appliance in our CA APM 9.5.2 cluster. Our Environment: 1 MOM and 5 Collectors in Linux x86_64 GNU/Linux box.

Question 1) How can I restrict the MOM not to assign any agents to our new EM collector which we are planning to dedicate only for the Multi-Port TIM.

Question 2) Also I forgot the user ID and password for APM Postgres DB. I know I have to use the existing DB during this new EM collector installation. Please advise how should I reset the password for the APM Postgres DB and what are all the steps to be followed after changing the password.

Thank You!

• 2.  Re: Installing New EM collector for Multiport-TIM
    Best Answer

Posted 10-14-2015 12:59 PM

Hi,

Question 1) How can I restrict the MOM not to assign any agents to our new EM collector which we are planning to dedicate only for the Multi-Port TIM.

A. Use loadbalancing.xml on MOM to exclude new TIM Collector from being assigned any agents. There are lot of examples in the xml file itself as well as APM docs to illustrate the syntax\usage of various XML tags

Question 2) Also I forgot the user ID and password for APM Postgres DB. I know I have to use the existing DB during this new EM collector installation. Please advise how should I reset the password for the APM Postgres DB and what are all the steps to be followed after changing the password.

A. There are lots of articles on google on how to reset password for Postgres depending on what OS it's installed for e.g

http://wiki.spry.com/Change_forgotten_PostgreSQL_password

Scratching My Needs: PostgreSQL - How to reset user name "postgres" password

Once you reset the password then it needs to be updated in tess-db-config.xml on all EM's.

-Open the xml in a text editor

-Set plainTextPassword field to true

-Add clear text password for the user (assuming same user is being used as the one for which password was reset)

-Save changes and restart EM

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 3.  Re: Installing New EM collector for Multiport-TIM

Posted 10-14-2015 01:47 PM

You can reset the DB password but you don't have to. Just install the new EM collector and copy the tess-db-config.xml from another EM.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 4.  Re: Installing New EM collector for Multiport-TIM

Posted 10-14-2015 03:41 PM

Thanks for the reply.

So during installation you want me to select Customize -> WebView, Enterprise Manager, ProbeBuilder and No APM Database. Later I have to copy the tess-db-config.xml from another exisitn EM ?

If yes, Will it connect to the existing APM Postgres DB?

• 5.  Re: Installing New EM collector for Multiport-TIM

Posted 10-14-2015 03:44 PM

Hi Kulbir,

Thanks for the reply. Let me go through the docs and get back to you.

• 6.  Re: Installing New EM collector for Multiport-TIM

Posted 11-02-2015 04:01 PM

Hi Guenter,

I have installed the new EM and copied the tess-db-config.xml file from another EM and started the newly installed EM. I dont see any error message in the logs. How can I confirm the the newly installed EM is connected to the existing APM Postgres DB. Please help.

Regards,

Thamil

• 7.  Re: Installing New EM collector for Multiport-TIM

Posted 11-03-2015 06:26 PM

Hi Thamil,

No ERROR messages is a good sign

If you search the log for "database" you should find a message "Checking database accessibility every 15 secs". If there are no problems then you won't see any related ERRORs

This OS command will also will show open sockets to the remote DB server (assuming default postgres port of 5432 is being used)

netstat -na | grep 5432

Regards,

Lynn

• 8.  Re: Installing New EM collector for Multiport-TIM

Posted 11-13-2015 05:11 PM

Hi Lynn,

Yes I can see this message "Checking database accessibility every 15 secs" in the new collector logs. Also I can see results for netstat -na | grep 5432

Thank you!

Regards,

Thamil