View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Alert thresholds in report template

Legacy User

Legacy UserAug 31, 2016 07:55 AM

• 1.  Alert thresholds in report template

Posted Aug 31, 2016 05:05 AM

Hi,

Can we add alert thresholds (caution and danger) in report templates for daily performance reporting, using CA APM 9.6?

If yes, could you please suggest the way?

Thanks & Regards

JD# 

• 2.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 07:51 AM

Hi JD:

I have sent an internal note requesting that someone soon reply to you. This should hopefully get you a response shortly.

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Posted Aug 31, 2016 07:55 AM

Thanks Hallett...

• 4.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 10:55 AM

Hi JD,

Basically there is a way by using Summary Alerts.

You can configure Introscope to create metrics that represent the trinary state of all alerts in an Enterprise Manager. This enables you to view live and historical views of alert states in the Workstation and in WebView.
    Alert state metrics can be used in custom views, such as:

■ a graph of alert state over time, correlated with other graphed metrics
    ■ a chart showing the percentage of time an Alert spent in each Alert state over a period of time

Alert state metrics in the Investigator
    In the Investigator, Alert state metrics appear in the virtual agent (calculator agent) for each domain defined in the Enterprise Manager, under the Alerts node. Alert state metrics in the Investigator are classified by numbers.

Alert-state metrics appear in the Investigator in the virtual agent (calculator agent) for each domain defined in the Enterprise Manager, under the Alerts node:
    Alerts|[management module name]:[alert name]
    Note: You can configure a different metric name for the node that contains Alert state metrics in the Enterprise Manager properties file, using the property introscope.enterprisemanager.alertstatemetric.prefix.

Alert state metrics in the Management Module Editor
    In the Management Module Editor, Alert state metrics appear as an alert status indicator, showing the states of green (OK), yellow (Caution), and red (Danger).

In short, you would create an alert (for example it is named "Test Alert" 
    based off of the metric you wish to monitor, for example CPU Utilization in
    the Management Module Test MM (this is just an example name). Then in the
    Investigator you would go to the following path:
    SuperDomain | Custom Metric Host (Virtual) | Custom Metric Agent (Virtual)
    | Alerts | Test MM | Test Alert
    Here you will see the values of 1 ,2 and 3, which are the alert states of
    Ok, Caution and Danger.
    Then you would create a report template in the same management module and
    add in a graph, pie chart or any other object you would like to have it
    report as. You then would select that object and then click on Data
    Properties tab. Then you would select "Test Alert" as the metric grouping
    to report on.
    Now this is to report on one alert. You are allowed to add multiple metric
    groupings to the report, so you can monitor various alerts at the same time.

Thanks,

Matt

• 5.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:22 AM

Hi JD:

Please let us know if Matt's suggestion is helpful and what he suggests will take care of your requirement or if there are additional needs needing to be addressed

Thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Posted Sep 01, 2016 06:27 AM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. Actually i was referring to a different use-case. 

I am considering the implementation like below:

APM version: 9.6

OS environment: Windows

Application server: IIS

Now lets say i have a metric group named "Test MG" against Avg. response time of an controller method, under MM "Test MM". I have configured a simple alert for "Test MG" and named is as "Test MG Alert". My Caution value is: 3000 and Danger Value: 5000.

Now i have a Report Template for daily performance reporting which includes the metric grouping "Test MG".

When i am looking into "Test MG Alert" individually, it is showing the ART data points and the graphs along with the danger (red line) and caution (yellow line) thresholds.

now when i seeing the report generated using the aforesaid report template, the graph is showing perfectly without the alert thresholds. My question is, is there any ways for having "Test MG" report along with the caution and danger thresholds as configured in "Test MG Alert". In other words, i would like to have "Test MG" graph on my report (configured in my report template) with red line as danger and yellow line as caution along with the alert threshold values as configured in "Test MG Alert".

In report template, though i have an option to set yellow line values and red line values under each data object's Display Properties. But since this is adhoc and manual entry, there might have possibilities of discrepancies. can we pull up the alert data into the metric grouping graph in the report.

Please let me know if i am not clear.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Best regards,

JD 

• 7.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 09:20 AM

Hi JD,

Now it is more clear.

Unfortunately we do not have that capability to take the danger/caution lines as you see them in the acutal alert and put it in the report.

Adding Hiko_Davis to see if there is a field pack that can do this.

Thanks,

Matt

• 8.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 10:09 AM

I'm not aware of a way to have this displayed.

You may need to go the route of creating your own report based upon data from SmartStor and knowing the thresholds on those metrics from MM editor.

Now the idea of being able to query the configuration info for an alert would be really useful in this case. I would suggest an idea be posted for this as a possible feature.

• 9.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Posted Sep 01, 2016 11:55 AM

Thanks Hiko!!

• 10.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 11:57 AM

You can query SmartStor using CLW or use our Easy Integration Kit web service that is installed on the MOM. You can then query SmartStor data directly from Excel or other ETL services.

• 11.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 10:23 AM

Hi JD:

Since there is no built-in capability to do this, marking as answered. You are of course welcome to ask follow-up questions if needed

Thanks

Hal German

• 12.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Posted Nov 08, 2017 06:18 AM

Hello Hiko_Davis,

Does the APM newer version 10.5.2 have the capability of having the threshold and danger lines in the report templates, which were not possible in version 9.6. Trying to extend this discussion further as we recently upgraded to 10.5.2.

• 13.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 12:51 PM

I'm not aware of any significant changes to the reporting product.

You do have a new option for polling data through APMSQL.

You can continue to use CLW and CEMExportTool which will work fine polling the data from to your RDBMS, cubes, universes, etcetera for analysis.

• 14.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 01:10 PM

There have not been any changes made in the area of Report Templates.  They are still tied to the Metric Grouping, which is not the same as the Alerts, and therefore does not include the Danger and Caution values.  

I would recommend creating an Idea on the APM Community here for that.

• 15.  Re: Alert thresholds in report template

Posted Nov 10, 2017 03:40 AM

Nishat,

I would suggest to go through the administration guide. But for a quick reference - there is a red and yellow line option available in report template. You may play around with that feature.

Regards,

Joydip