View Only
  • 1.  Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 13, 2016 12:15 PM

Hi all:

It would be helpful to have some feedback on the following:

1. The APM DocWiki

- Are you finding it helpful?

- Are you finding the information you are seeking? If not., please provide details as to why

- What changes would you like see made to the Doc wiki.

2. If you want to see a change to the APM Doc Wiki, are you adding comments to the page?

a.If not, please state why or what would you more likely to add comments

3. Any other comments

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Hal German

• 2.  Re: Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 19, 2016 08:18 AM

No comments received to date. Please take advantage of this opportunity and I will discuss with Doc Team

• 3.  Re: Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Posted Jan 20, 2016 10:04 PM

I would like to create a PDF file containing content below the current section (not whole content, that is over 3000 pages...)  as well.

see also the below comments.

Getting Started - CA Application Performance Management - 10.0 - CA Technologies Documentation

• 4.  Re: Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 21, 2016 08:21 AM

Hi Akio-san:

Thank you for your feedback. I am passing this on to the Tech Info team. Until that functionality comes along, you could download the bookshelf and join the entire needed pages using something like Calibre, copy and paste needed pages into Word save as a PDF, or download everything in one PDF and use one of the many split PDF programs to capture the desired pages. This is a more involved process than desired but is available as a workaround for now.

I will pass along any feedback receieved

Thanks

Hal German

• 5.  Re: Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Posted Jan 21, 2016 10:37 AM

Hi Akio-san,

I am the Information Architect for CA APM. Hal is correct. At the moment, we cannot create PDFs of sections of the product documentation.

I will pass your request along to the team that supports our documentation platform.

They are responsible for the documentation platform backlog.

Thank you for your feedback!

• 6.  Re: Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Posted Jan 21, 2016 10:40 AM

Are there any pdf's? When I downloaded the bookshelf, there were none.

• 7.  Re: Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 21, 2016 10:50 AM

The Bookshelf is now only html pages. But using free third-party tools such as calibre, you can convert html to pdf.

• 8.  Re: Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Posted Jan 21, 2016 04:17 PM

Which version of the documentation were you looking at?

Documentation for APM 9.6, 9.7, 10.0, and 10.1 is located here:

CA Technologies Documentation

When you open APM documentation from here, you can use the version button to navigate to different versions of the doc.

You can also open a PDF version of the entire site in the upper left corner.

I hope that helps!

• 9.  Re: Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Posted Jan 22, 2016 10:40 AM

Thanks. I didn't realize I could do that. I also see an epub, which I like. Good job.

• 10.  Re: Your Help Needed: APM Documentation Wiki Feedback

Posted Jan 21, 2016 03:48 PM

interestingly that feature was there April 2015.  I was able to make a pdf of the sections I wanted. For example the complete list of (java agent) metrics (65 pages). Something to throw at my users when they ask what metrics does Wily show (yes still called wily in some circles.

The first reason I liked pdf (or ePub) was that I could read them off-line on my pad.  The second reason was that the web site was failing for me.  The navigation on left was erratic and would only show the current sections (and very slow refresh).  The right side had no button next to go the next topic and since the left side was broken <pain>.  There was a third reason: in some cases the user does not have a working login (and does not care to get one) and I want the user to read before calling support.

I am pleased to report that as of late, much of the navigation hassle I experienced last year appears to be gone (Chrome and IE11) and content becomes better every month.

The only linkage I found that is not yet working without proper support login are the "compatibility guides".  That said I still miss the 'next' (or flip page) to navigate to the next page/topic.

Another thing that appears to work better is the search.  I like searches to get straight to the section I want, example (v10.1): "Java agent properties" but "Java agent metrics" does find that section I liked in v9.7.

One note, as the older versions will go out of support I would suggest you to archive these, but leave them on the web for the administrator who has agents way beyond the support date.

I do like comment pages to report problems missing information or whish for more right then and now, but once that is done I hate to see pages of old comments or seeing them clearly ignored (or the thanks, hello, stuff that does not add value to the doc).

I really like, kudo, to the team, that when we open a support case and it is found that the doc is not clear or incorrect that the page is fixed within days.... tell your management to keep you guys funded.