I am writing this up as a KB and decided to release early. Please let me know of any corrections or additions
This describes the different types of TIMs and their customer impacts.
This is the evolution of the TIM:
- Through 4.x, TIM is a hardware appliance running Red Hat Linux. CA Technologies is responsible for system software and security updates
- From 9.0.x through 9.5.x , TIM become TIMSoft running Red Hat Linux (software version only.) CA Technologies is responsible for system software and security updates. Recommendations on hardware are provided.
- From 9.1x through 9.5.x . For those wanting network information corresponding to the customer transactions, MTP Support was provided. This is a hardware appliance running CentOS.
- From 9.6 onward, only the TIM Software is provided. Customer is responsible for system software and security updates. A non-MTP CentOS version is available.
- From 9.7 onward, a high-performance TIM which is the fastest of all the TIM types becomes available.
- From 9.6x onward . For those wanting network information corresponding to the customer transactions, MTP Support was provided. This is a faster hardware appliance than older MTP releases. It is running CentOS.
Great information. Let me know when the KB is posted. I will add a cross-reference link to this page in the APM product doc wiki.
The KB should be publically available tomorrow:
Evolution of the TIM TEC1930474
KB is now available