DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

• 1.  Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Posted Sep 04, 2015 12:41 PM

Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

• 2.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 04, 2015 04:55 PM

No, there should be not be an issue. On the contrary: scalability was one of the driving forces when we started moving from the Java client workstation to the browser based Webview. Webview acts as a proxy in front of the EM to cache data that is used by multiple users and thus move a part of the interactive workload away from the EM.

For the EM one Webview is handled the same as one workstation connection. So if you have 25 Webview users it is still a single connection to the EM and thus much less overhead than 25 workstations.

Ideally you would run multiple Webview servers that access the same APM cluster behind a load balancer. Just make sure that the Webview servers are properly sized but they are typically not very resource intensive. You might even run multiple Webview instances on different ports on the same server if you have enough resources. See WebView Requirements.

Did you know that you can also monitor Webview itself with a built-in agent?

Ciao,

Guenter

• 3.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 04, 2015 07:36 PM

Further questions/comments: do you have performance problems with WebView? Are you monitoring WebView as I wrote above? Are they really on WebView or is WebView slow because the APM cluster is slow?

We typically see that the MOM and/or the collectors become the bottleneck before WebView does. So:

1. Monitor WebView

2. Make sure your APM cluster is performing well: see e.g this thread with a lot of useful links, also check spyderjacks blogs and documents. The real APM performance Jedi master he is.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 4.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Posted Sep 08, 2015 12:56 PM

I was looking  confirmation on this feature.

Thanks for other relevant and useful details on this.

Santosh

• 5.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Posted Sep 08, 2015 02:29 PM

Hi Santosh,

Please note that running Webview in a clustered\HA mode, i.e multiple Webview instances pointing to single MOM\EM is NOT a supported\tested configuration.

So I would recommend filing a Idea\enhancement on the Community site so product management can look into supporting such a setup for upcoming product releases and provide future direction.

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 6.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Posted Sep 09, 2015 05:27 AM

Hi Kulbir,

“multiple Webview instances pointing to single MOM\EM is NOT a supported\tested configuration”

I’ve searched the doc, and haven’t found any evidence of the above, can you please point me to where this is written in our docs please?

Thx,

Florian.

• 7.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Posted Sep 09, 2015 12:56 PM

Hi Florian,

You are correct that we don't specifically have anything in the docs indicating non-support for multiple Webview instances or Webview clustering for HA, however neither we have anything in the docs indicating support\testing for such a setup.

Regardless I think we need to put a note in the Webview documentation indicating same and I will work with doc team to get that completed.

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 8.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Posted Sep 10, 2015 04:09 AM

Thx Kulbir, yes this should be documented. I know we have many customers who have several WebView servers querying the same MOM. At some point in time in the past, this was an “advertised” configuration to increase the number of concurrent users, not sure why/when it changed exactly.

• 9.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 10, 2015 05:29 PM

Have we documented that we support more than one workstation or more than one browser connecting to WebView?

You could also work with the QA/performance team to add tests for multi-WebView scenarios t have that configuration tested and supported.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 10.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Posted Sep 22, 2015 11:35 AM

Hi,

Could I have confirmation multiple webview is an officially supported one (even before updating the documentation or tests) ?

I have to upgrade soon and that question is relevant for big implementation in Spain.

Ideally would appreciate an official answer in case of MOM failover case.

Thanks in advance

• 11.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Posted Sep 24, 2015 08:58 PM

Hi Marc,

Currently it's not tested in that manner and we are updating documentation to say same.

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 12.  Re: Is there issue/ restrictions to use remote mulitple webviews  pointing to same MOM ?   Hoping to add capacity to webview users if possible !!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2017 03:10 AM

Just to update this thread, multiple WebView servers for high availability is now tested and supported. Configuration of WebView servers is documented here: Configure the WebView Server for High Availability - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Docu…