DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Historical Transaction Tracing!!

Posted Feb 12, 2015 12:22 PM

Hi There ,

I need to capture Transaction trace with more than one filter i.e  when a perticular URL matches + exceeds a threshold value. It does not work using PersistentTransactionTracerConfiguration.xml.

I asked this question in PersistentTransactionTracerConfiguration.xml thread but no one answered and then I went back to CA support (request no - 00016845) and they came back saying.

PersistentTransactionTracer.xml is not officially supported in APM. Please review the following tech doc. http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec597689.aspx

My question - in UI , the TT for live data working perfectly fine  with more than one filter (url + threshold time)  and but how to achive that in historical TT?? Using Alert + a CWL command as action that triggers a TT is not going to help here as the CLW command can be configured to start a TT with one filter only( either when threshold exceeds or url matches but not with both  -  correct me if i am wrong) Can anyone respond what API the UI calls when starts a new transaction trace please ??? and how multiple filters are passed to the TT API ??

-Sujata

• 2.  Re: Historical Transaction Tracing!!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 20, 2015 07:51 AM

What do you mean by 'historical transaction tracing"? I don't understand why you would want to do this. What you want to do trigger a trace during a particular event when it meets your criteria. Have you spent time trying to understand the different parameters of persistent tracing? There is a good discussion with examples on this.

• 3.  Re: Historical Transaction Tracing!!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2015 01:15 AM

Hi,

I looked at your other thread (would be good to link it in the question). Have you tried each filter on its own to narrow down on what does not work? E.g.

1. only <ParameterFilter parameterName="URL" parameterValue="fund-service-v3/Fund_V3" operationType="2"/>
    2. only <ThresholdFilter thresholdInMillis="100"/>
    3. <AndFilter> 1 & 2 </AndFilter>
    4. only <ParameterFilter parameterName="URL" parameterValue="product-holding-pension-service-v1/ProductHoldingPensionService" operationType="2"/>
    5. second and filter
    6. simple or filter (e.g. 1 or 4)
    7. or (3 || 5)

You can also use separate TraceSessions with one AndFilter each instead of the OrFilter.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 4.  Re: Historical Transaction Tracing!!

Posted Feb 27, 2015 02:07 PM

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my query.

Yes i tried all possible different combinations. Infact option 3 ( 1 & 2 ) works as expected - it actually records only the TT that exceeds threshold and ends with the mentioned URL and other transactiosn are ignored.

and when i have only ine filter (ex. option 4) that works as expected.

but when i have a combination of AndFilter and OrFilter then it records all TT.

I tried separate TraceSessions as well each has somehting like  <AndFilter> 1 & 2 <AndFilter> and so on but that still records ALL TT.

Regards, Sujata