DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  WebServer powerpack naming standards

Posted Aug 20, 2015 11:59 PM

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any recommended way of naming and grouping web server metrics?

Is it possible to group different web servers under a folder? As far as I can see it just automatically groups them under web server type...

Is there any recommended display name convention since we're going to have dozens of web servers in different environments.

Key pieces of information would be

• environment
    • hostname
    • web server instance
    • port
    • application

Here was my first attempt

WebServer Type="Apache:Oracle-HTTP-Server" Enabled="true" Protocol="TLS" ServerURL="https://aute1oh004naboe.bastest.aurtest.national.com.au:4444" DisplayName="loginportal_ohs8-NFT"

but perhaps environment-application-web server instance would be best?

Any thoughts on this?

• 2.  Re: WebServer powerpack naming standards

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 09:23 AM

Hi Matthew:

I am trying to get this answered  Best Practices such as naming standards should be directed to Professional Services.

Thanks

Hal German

APM Support

• 3.  Re: WebServer powerpack naming standards
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 09:31 AM

I checked in the config files of the PP and could not find any way to group them.  You may (and this is not 100% sure) be able to modify the pbd's to manipulate the output, but that would be more of a Services engagement.  Out of the box, no way to do this.

• 4.  Re: WebServer powerpack naming standards

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 09:49 AM

Hi Matthew,

The ordering of the metrics is very much hardcoded into the WebServer PowerPack agent, apart from the option to change the display name.

What is the purpose of the grouping, could you set up a metric grouping of the values you need and display that on a dashboard ?

The metric grouping could also be used as a source of data for reporting.

You can use virtual agents (agentclusters.xml) configured on the Enteprise Manager to take metrics from multiple agents and aggregate the values and generate new metrics from that, but that only really works where you have common values that you want to aggregate, I'm not sure that would be a good option for port numbers, for example..

Many thanks,

David

• 5.  Re: WebServer powerpack naming standards

Posted Aug 30, 2015 07:52 PM

Hi David,

I would be looking to group them into environments and applications.

If we have 60 different web servers in 3 different environments covering 10 different apps, it's going to look pretty messy and will be hard for ad hoc users to find what they want out of the box.

Dashboards would probably work but it will just be an extra load of work and maintenance which I would prefer to avoid if possible.

I know that you can break down individual agent JVMs into different domains, but i'm guessing this isn't the case for individual web servers.

Regards,

Matthew

• 6.  Re: WebServer powerpack naming standards

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 03:54 PM

You could accomplish this using the attributes in APM Team Center, but not using the PP alone.

Best you can do is somehow alter the "displayname" attribute for each URL listed in your webserverconfig.xml.

• 7.  Re: WebServer powerpack naming standards

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 04:20 PM

Strike that comment about ATC!

• 8.  Re: WebServer powerpack naming standards

Posted Aug 30, 2015 07:56 PM

We're still on 9.7 for the minute (agents are generally 9.6) but if I have a decent naming convention for the display name, then I at least i can have them ordered by environment and application, just not in different folders.

Also I can't see any way to dish out group based permissions for this.

Perhaps something that I can ask for to be added to 10.2

• 9.  Re: WebServer powerpack naming standards

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2015 11:16 AM

Hi,

you can also run a separate instances of the web server PP, one for each environment, and name then differently, both the agent and the process.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 10.  Re: WebServer powerpack naming standards

Posted Sep 01, 2015 12:27 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input; in the short term we've gone with a naming convention of this type :

SERVICE - ENVIRONMENT - HOSTNAME - INSTANCE NAME - PORT(Optional)

We'll probably have to do dashboards down the line too.