DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Investigator is **** slow

Posted Sep 04, 2015 12:18 AM

Hi,

I did install EM/Workstation(9.7.1.16) on a RHEL 5.6 and is very slow. Not sure why is it and did check and have 4 processor and 2 gig of memory reporting in my machine.

Thanks,

Sandeep

• 2.  Re: Investigator is **** slow

Posted Sep 04, 2015 12:38 AM

Hi Sandeep,

Please check the below:

SUPPORTED OSSUPPORTED JVMHARDWAREJVM MODE / CHIPSET
    Red Hat Linux 5.x, 6.x Sun 1.7.xAMD64, x6432-bit / 64-bit
    Red Hat Linux 5.x, 6.x Sun 1.7.xAMD64, x6464-bit / 64-bit

Refer to the CA APM sizing Recommendations according to Standalone/Clustered -  https://wiki.ca.com/display/APMDEVOPS97/CA+APM+Sizing+Recommendations

Thanks,

Karthik

• 3.  Re: Investigator is **** slow

Posted Sep 04, 2015 01:15 AM

Thanks for your response. and I see it is 1.6 in my machine.

java version "1.6.0_17"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.7.10) (rhel-1.21.b17.0.1.el5-x86_64)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

• 4.  Re: Investigator is **** slow

Posted Sep 04, 2015 02:00 AM

Hi Sandeep,

Are you still facing the problem?

Is it a standalone machine or cluster one? How much memory did you allocate to enterprise manager process? I hope you are aware EM memory can be increased through lax.nl.java.option.additional property in Introscope Enterprise Manager.lax file. Also set same value for min and max heap size.

If you still face any issues, follow the below link to increase the EM performance.

https://communities.ca.com/message/16546906#16546906

Thanks,

Karthik

• 5.  Re: Investigator is **** slow

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 04, 2015 02:23 AM

Hi Sandeep,

I understand your frustration and anger but can you please change the topic to "very slow" - thank you!

The APM installer comes with its own JRE that is installed to <EM_HOME/jre. Can you check the JVM version in IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.log?

How many agents and metrics are reported? Can you go to "Custom Metric Host (*Virtual*)|Custom Metric Process (*Virtual*)|Custom Metric Agent (*Virtual*) (SuperDomain)|Enterprise Manager", set the time range to 6 hrs and take a screen shot of the Overview tab?

Most interesting are the "Harvest, SmartStor and GC durations" - the first two should be below 3.5s, ideally << 1s, GC duration should be less than those two. They are good indicators of:

• High harvest time: too many metrics (metric explosion), too many calculators, CPU bottleneck, too many/broad queries
    • High SmartStor time: I/O bottleneck
    • High GC time: memory bottleneck, too many metrics

The best approach is to open a support ticket.

Ciao,

Guenter

CA APM Community Champion

• 6.  Re: Investigator is **** slow

Posted Oct 26, 2015 03:20 PM

I am using standalone and have 22gig of ram,4 cpu cores.how should i tune the performance as whenever i hit apply/ok/revert/or any other it is taking almost a min to complete.

Thanks,

Sandeep

• 7.  Re: Investigator is **** slow

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2015 08:39 PM

• Workstation HeapThe default max heap in 9.1 is 512mb.  Since the EM now offloads historical-query loads to workstations, this may not be large enough.  If customer workstations can handle it, increase that heap to 1gb (or larger).  You can adjust the webstart workstation heap settings here (on the MOM): <ISC_HOME>\product\enterprisemanager\plugins\com.wily.introscope.workstation.webstart_9.1.0\WebContent\jnlp\workstation.jsp.  Then search for java-vm-args.

If you are using webstart workstation, that might help.  By default the amount of memory allocated to the workstation JVM is 512.  I prefer a bit more than that, 1.5 Gig usually improves performance for me.

• 8.  Re: Investigator is **** slow

Posted Sep 04, 2015 03:26 AM

Hi sandeep,

Please check the performance of EM from the perflog.txt by following the procedures in the below KB:  http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec604648.aspx.

This could help you find the bottlenecks of EM's performance..

Thanks,

Karthik

• 9.  Re: Investigator is **** slow

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 04, 2015 04:59 PM

In addition to the links above have you read: CA APM Performance Monitoring and Tuning?

nkarthik, don't you want to write a blog summing up the info in this and related thread and having a good link collection? I never find the time because there are always new customer escalations coming in where the APM cluster if not performing ...

Ciao,

Guenter