DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  In APM Team Center for v10.0, is it possible to define or change the Type perspective?

Posted Jul 28, 2015 03:33 PM

In APM 10's Team Center there is a Type Perspective, is it possible to add or change Type definitions.  For example, the Client WebServices show up in the type(WEBSERVICE) but the Server WebServices appear in the type(SERVLET).  Is it possible to create a new type called "WEBSERVER_SERVER" and associate the server webservices with that type?  Similiarily, is it possible to add a type for WebSphere MQ and associate MQ components to this type?

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: In APM Team Center for v10.0, is it possible to define or change the Type perspective?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2015 07:28 AM

Hi Bobby,

you can't change the field type. This information is coming from the Agent and is the Vertex (node) type in Team Center.

But you can add whatever attribute you want and create a new perspective for it.

How about that...

This way you can easily use Communication in combination with other attributes to paint a nice map in Team Center. That's the power of Team Center.

I also strongly recommend to use the attribute "tier" which allows you to filter and use the elements on the overview page.

Even the metric names are not accurate, I'm sure you get the idea.

2015-07-29_13-25-12.png

• 3.  Re: In APM Team Center for v10.0, is it possible to define or change the Type perspective?

Posted Jul 29, 2015 09:45 AM

Thanks for you reply.  I'll give that try.

I did find a file called teamcenter-status-mapping.properties in the EM/config directory but that file seems to control which alert gets assigned to a certain type.

So this may be an enhancement request.  I would like to be able to change the map in Team Center and the definitions in the teamcenter-status-mapping.properties is similiar to what I would expect to change the actual map.

example from properties file.

SERVLET.1=Servlets|<servletClassname>

SERVLET.2=Frontends|Apps|<applicationName>

If you could add a new property for example called WEBSERVICE_CLIENT.1=WebServices|Client|<wsNamespace> that would actually add a new node to the map.

• 4.  Re: In APM Team Center for v10.0, is it possible to define or change the Type perspective?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2015 09:57 AM

Hi Bob,

not being able going into details on future implementations. But which nodes will appear is going to change in the next release(s). A lot of powerful stuff is coming.

But you'll still be not able to duplicate a node on Team Center or create a new node out of nothing. Why should I put two nodes for the same Web Service on Team Center???

I still don't understand why you want to change the type? You can create your custom attribute and can use it the same way in Team Center?

Thanks

Andreas

• 5.  Re: In APM Team Center for v10.0, is it possible to define or change the Type perspective?

Posted Jul 29, 2015 10:34 AM

It is exciting to hear that we have even more great changes coming down the pipe.

I'm looking for a combination of the triage map and the SOA Dependency Map on the same map to get a true end to end map of the environment.  I would like to be able to filter on one service or operation and see which applications use that service or operation.  That way when I'm on the bridge call and I'm asked which applications are affected, I can see it with a few clicks.  I would also like to see Datapower and WebSphereMQ/Broker components on the map as well.

I think the custom attribute will help but with what little experientation that I've done so far, the custom attributes don't show up in the filters so I can't filter on them.

Thanks

Bobby

• 6.  Re: In APM Team Center for v10.0, is it possible to define or change the Type perspective?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2015 11:12 AM

Hi Bobby,

I'm fully with you. You want to isolate transactions, you want to isolate maybe a complete Business Transaction from the very beginning to the end. Maybe even add a component which are in the middle of a JVM which doesn't show about on Team Center at the moment because we currently have the restriction to Frontends and Backends. I can tell you we just started ;-) .. a lot of cool stuff is coming..

Let's talk in a very few month from now again about Datapower and WebSphereMQ/Broker.

For now, try to work instead of isolation with the "Highlighting" view options. Once you set a custom attribute you can highlight it all through your environment. That's what it is built for.

I also fully agree with you on the limitation of the filters. That's why I recommended to use the attribute "tier" very excessive. You can define rules to set the tier and you can use it for filtering.

Once you have a few perspectives based on custom attributes, use the existing filters with attributes you can set like "location", "owner" and "tier" and next combine it with the Highlighting, I'm sure you will have most what you need in seconds on your next bridge call.

Cheers

Andreas

• 7.  Re: In APM Team Center for v10.0, is it possible to define or change the Type perspective?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2015 09:32 AM

Hi Bobby:

Is Andreas' answer sufficient or are there follow-up questions?