DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Sysedge - AIX logfile monitoring

Posted Jun 11, 2015 02:53 PM

We are rolling sysedge out to our production AIX environment. AIX does not do traditional logfiles - no /var/logs or whatever - logs are stored in a binary DB and retrieved using a tool called errrpt.

Has anyone been able to do logfile monitoring in AIX with this setup??

One thought was to use a script which sysedge executed - the script would call errrpt. Before I re-invent the wheel - looking for suggestions......

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Sysedge - AIX logfile monitoring

Posted Jun 14, 2015 01:26 AM

Team,

Any inputs for Dan?

• 3.  Re: Sysedge - AIX logfile monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2015 08:29 AM

All

At issue here is the fact that we have several hundred AIX servers deployed into production.

We are replacing IBM ITM (which had the capability to execute errpt from within the agent) with Sysedge. I will not have the ability to force a change on all AIX servers where they will either have to have a cron job added or modify error reporting globally so a text file is generated.

So I am back to my original question….

Can Sysedge Execute a script which calls errpt (for lets say the last 5 minutes) and parses the errpt output for log matches?

Thanks

Dan

• 4.  Re: Sysedge - AIX logfile monitoring
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 30, 2015 10:37 AM

Dan,

Yes, SysEDGE can call a script via MIB Extensions. I'm not aware of any script to do exactly what you are looking for that is publicly available.

While not comprehensive, there are some basic examples in the Bookshelf. If you need further details about the MIB Extension, I would recommend opening a support case, referencing this thread.

Regards,

Sean

• 5.  Re: Sysedge - AIX logfile monitoring

Posted Jun 14, 2015 11:32 AM

Hey Dan,

Same question was answered few days back:

REFERENCE:

https://catech.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/241701042

unfortunately there is no functionality in SystemEdge to monitor AIX system log. You/customer has to build a script and schedule it in cron to run the errpt command in a reasonable interval and put the output into a text file, which then can be monitored by the SE agent. At least that's how we did it...

Good luck!

Mike

Cheers!

SHRIRAM'

• 6.  Re: Sysedge - AIX logfile monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2015 04:08 AM

Thanks Lakshmi!

I think Dan is looking for that script. Let's see if anyone can post it here!