DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  CA APM API

Posted Jul 02, 2015 03:02 AM

Dear Team,

I need to know what kind of data can be exposed via API's in CA APM and how it can be achieved.

I tried going through API guide but not much help i could get.

Requirement:

We have SDLC managing tool which includes data from various tools within organization in single console with different tabs for different tools and want to have CA APM agents, metrics, alerts data in the same manner once monitoring of an application is started.

Regards

Ajit C

• 2.  Re: CA APM API
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 02, 2015 08:18 PM

Hi Ajit,

Nearly all APM data is exposed via one or more APIs. But APM is a high-performance database system optimized for writing 100K to millions of data points to disk every 15 seconds and doing some calculations and alerting on that data. Every query puts additional load on the system. So you should keep your queries to the minimum needed to meet your requirements.

Speaking of which, what exactly are your requirements for getting data from APM? Which data do you need for which use case? Which granularity of data? Which subsets?

E.g. If you want to get the agents, you will only query them once an hour or once a day. For metrics only query a small subset, e.g. Frontend metrics, every 5 minutes already aggregated into 5 minute intervals.

You can start either with web services (see API Guide) at http://<EM>:8081/introscope-web-services/services.

Or you use the command line workstation (see Admin Guide):

java -Xmx128M -Duser=$EM_USER -Dpassword=$EM_PWD -Dhost=$EM_HOST -Dport=$EM_PORT -jar $CLW_PATH/CLWorkstation.jar "get historical data from agents matching .* and metrics matching (Frontends\|Apps\|[^\|]+:Average Response Time \(ms\)) for past 5 minutes with frequency of 300 s"

Ciao,

Guenter

• 3.  Re: CA APM API

Posted Jul 03, 2015 01:36 AM

Hi Guenter,

Thanks for your reply, I went through the API guide and found some interesting wsdl to fetch the dashboard, module, and agent dashboards.

The requirement is to give all agents list and the key performance metrics along with alerts details if any.

Regards

Ajit C

• 4.  Re: CA APM API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2015 01:01 PM

Hi,

the emphasis should be on key performance metrics: I would suggest Frontends and maybe some resource metrics (CPU, heap). Just make sure you don't overwhelm the EM system. As suggested for agent list 1hr interval should be enough, for KPIs 5 minutes interval aggregated at the EM as explained above.

Check the EM KPIs via the workstation/webview at "Custom Metric Host (Virtual)|Custom Metric Process (Virtual)|Custom Metric Agent (Virtual) (*SuperDomain*)|Enterprise Manager" before and after starting your data collection via web services and regularly monitor it!

Ciao,

Guenter

• 5.  Re: CA APM API

Posted Jul 07, 2015 05:44 AM

Hi Guenter,

Thanks for your reply, is there any way to publish APM introscope reports in third party tool? customer is also wants to have graphical representation and not only alert data.

Regards

AJit C

• 6.  Re: CA APM API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 07, 2015 10:53 AM

You can create report templates in workstation and run them from CLW (remotely, too, just need the jar). You can do whatever you want with the pdf created.

There is no official (ie tested) portal-like support for integration of pages or widgets into third party pages though some people have found workarounds. Just search the community.