DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to write a Custom NameFormatter for StalledMethodTracer - I get "the tracer does not support the threshold parameter" errors

• 1.  How to write a Custom NameFormatter for StalledMethodTracer - I get "the tracer does not support the threshold parameter" errors

Posted Aug 18, 2014 08:58 AM

Hi,

I need to add a custom nameformatter to a StalledMethodTracer. I tried to do that the following way:

SetTracerClassMapping: SOAPStalledMethodTracer com.wily.introscope.agent.trace.StalledMethodTracer com.wily.introscope.probebuilder.validate.ResourceNameValidator

SetTracerParameter: SOAPStalledMethodTracer nameformatter ***.nameformatter.soap.SOAPNameFormatter (where *** is the package name)

SetTracerParameter: SOAPStalledMethodTracer reentrancy instance

I then put the tracer on a method:

TraceComplexMethodsWithThresholdIfFlagged: MYFLAG SOAPStalledMethodTracer "TEST|Frontends|ByService|{Service}:Slow" 500

And then get the following error:

[ERROR] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Introscope AutoProbe will not run because the provided directives files are not valid: Can't proceed because (/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/wily/config/instrumentation/***.pbd:23) the tracer does not support the threshold parameter. Please restart with valid directives.

It seems as if my tracer extension is not recognized to deal with thresholds. Can you point me to a solution?

Thank you,

Stefan

• 2.  Re: How to write a Custom NameFormatter for StalledMethodTracer - I get "the tracer does not support the threshold parameter" errors
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 18, 2014 11:03 AM

The StalledMethodTracer has a bit of a "gotcha" in the SetTracerClassMapping directive. Try the following:

SetTracerClassMapping: SOAPStalledMethodTracer com.wily.introscope.agent.trace.StalledMethodTracer com.wily.introscope.probebuilder.validate.StalledMethodTracerValidator

SetTracerParameter:    SOAPStalledMethodTracer nameformatter ***.nameformatter.soap.SOAPNameFormatter

SetTracerParameter:    SOAPStalledMethodTracer reentrancy instance

• 3.  Re: How to write a Custom NameFormatter for StalledMethodTracer - I get "the tracer does not support the threshold parameter" errors

Posted Aug 19, 2014 03:01 AM

Hi,

Thanks a lot - this did the trick.

Stefan