DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Does "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit is active" hover text on Agent XYZ in the Investigator signify that Agent XYZ is clamped?

Posted Jul 23, 2014 05:53 PM

I was investigating a separate issue in the Investigator when I came across this event. I noticed that one of my agent icons looked different than normal and that it wasn't showing any metrics. I hovered my mouse over the agent and I saw the following hover text: "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit is active on Agent XYZ".

odd icons on Investigator.png

I checked the CA APM Configuration and Administration Guide and it stated that the property "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit" was used to configure agent clamping. Does this indicate that this agent is clamping?

• 2.  Re: Does "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit is active" hover text on Agent XYZ in the Investigator signify that Agent XYZ is clamped?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 23, 2014 05:57 PM

Yes, your agent is clamped.

So no new metrics will be generated. You will need to check the metric counts for your agent to see what is causing the problem.

• 3.  Re: Does "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit is active" hover text on Agent XYZ in the Investigator signify that Agent XYZ is clamped?

Posted Jul 23, 2014 05:59 PM

Is there a metric in the Investigator I can check to see which agents on Collector XYZ are clamped?

• 4.  Re: Does "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit is active" hover text on Agent XYZ in the Investigator signify that Agent XYZ is clamped?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 23, 2014 06:01 PM

You can do a full search on your cluster by looking for the metric "IsClamped".

• 5.  Re: Does "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit is active" hover text on Agent XYZ in the Investigator signify that Agent XYZ is clamped?

Posted Jul 24, 2014 08:38 AM

I'm still seeing the "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit is active" hover text on 3 agents. After looking at the "Is Clamped" metrics for the 3 agents, it appears that only one of the agents is actually clamped, so what would be the reason for the text appearing on all 3 agents?

• 6.  Re: Does "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit is active" hover text on Agent XYZ in the Investigator signify that Agent XYZ is clamped?

Posted Jul 24, 2014 11:58 AM

The metrics limit is within the <mom home>/config/apm-events-thresholds-config.xml file and typically it is set to the same value as the metric limit within the agent configuration (default of 50k).

With the APM event, depending on the version of the APM you have, once the apm event has registered, the cluster has to be restarted for the event to clear.  So if an agent hit your metric clamp value but then went back down, the APM event would still be registered and would continue to display even when the agent is no longer being metric clamped.

Hope this helps,

Billy

• 7.  Re: Does "introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit is active" hover text on Agent XYZ in the Investigator signify that Agent XYZ is clamped?

Posted Jul 24, 2014 12:42 PM

I am afraid that's not correct information.

To validate I just tested this scenario in my environment where two agents were already connected to the EM reporting more than 400 metrics each.

-Modified the clamp setting introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit to 100 and saved changes

-Waited for a minute before event was generated and agents were clamped

-Is Clamped metric still reported 0

-Reversed the changed to clamp value and event was resolved as well as agent icon changed

Scenario 2:

-Modified the clamp setting introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.metrics.limit to 100 and saved changes

-Waited for a minute before event was generated and agents were clamped

-Ran some transactions on agent so new metric is generated

-Is Clamped metric changed to 1

-Reversed the changed to clamp value and event was resolved as well as agent icon changed

-Is Clamped metric went down to 0

Conclusion:

-Event does NOT require EM to be restarted to be cleared

-Is Clamped metric can report 0 values even when Agent is clamped because it's only evaluated\regenerated when new metric for agent comes in however if it's reporting a value of 1 already and then clamp value is changed then the reverse is done without above requirement.

Hope this helps. If there are still further questions please engage CA APM Support team.

Regards,

Kulbir.