DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Monitor ASP & VB6 applications in .Net environment

Posted Feb 25, 2010 09:45 AM
    We are using .Net agent and Epagent to monitor .net applications and system resources. We too have some ASP and VB6 applications(web,.exe's,windows service) on the same server. Is there anyway we can monitor ASP and VB6 applications using either .Net or Epagent? if so what metrics are useful to identify problems in those applications. Appreciated your response.

• 2.  Re: Monitor ASP & VB6 applications in .Net environment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 25, 2010 10:47 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi Senthil,It is not possible to monitor any of these processes using our .NET agent, since   asp and vb6 don't use .net CLR.But, we (Professional service team)  could customize an epagent for that purpose depending what are your monitoring requirements.Please note  that there is out there, some free utilites that could provide you some detail of informaition, for example:
    the "perfmonEPAgent" (attached)  provides some perfmon counter metrics.You can also write scripts for monitoring app logs and/or events and even more if  you  can modify your code for the asp and vb6 app, then a more indepth and comprehensive epagent can be customized to embed tracing hooks in the code.  I hope this helps,  Regards,Sergio

Attachment(s)

zip
    PerfMonEPA.zip   3.42 MB 1 version

• 3.  Re: Monitor ASP & VB6 applications in .Net environment

Posted Feb 26, 2010 12:32 PM
    Thanks for your swift response. Our applications are writing to log files and we have event logs for services. Can we write plugin scripts to analyze the logfiles and get valuable information? Thanks.

• 4.  Re: Monitor ASP & VB6 applications in .Net environment
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 03, 2010 08:24 AM
    Hi Senthil,  I have found different log readers(siteminder, plsql, sunone, gc) but  unfortunately  not a generic one that can be used to ready log/window events. Please find a summary of all the options  I have found:  a) get the messages from the windows event log using Perl and EPAgent
    http://docs.activestate.com/activeperl/5.8/lib/Win32/EventLog.html  b) see if EPAgent IIS Log File reader can help it is bundled with EPAagent.  c) check if the following communicaiton helps:  ****
    Here is a simple and straight forward vb script EPA plugin that will watch for a specific source, from the Windows Event log view, and set a count, based on target instance and sourcename. This allows for setting of alerts based on this happening. This is setup to run, and keep running, it acts as a registered collector of WMI/Event log events. In the script the sample source for the event is OLS.' Script to Receive specific events from the Event Log for application errors
    ' Larry Morgan   - May 23, 2007
    set events = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}").ExecNotificationQuery ("select * from __instancecreationevent where targetinstance isa 'Win32_NTLogEvent'")                            
    if err 0 then
        WScript.Echo Err.Description, Err.Number, Err.Source
    end if
    ' Note this next call will wait indefinitely - a timeout can be specified
    do
    set NTEvent = events.nextevent
    if err 0 then
    WScript.Echo Err.Number, Err.Description, Err.Source
    Exit Do
    else    
                  If InStr(NTEvent.TargetInstance.SourceName, "OLS") 0 Then
                                  WScript.Echo " "
                  end if
    end if
    loop
    ****  I hope this helps,  Regards,  Sergio

• 5.  Re: Monitor ASP & VB6 applications in .Net environment

Posted Mar 03, 2010 02:12 PM
    This would help us in identifying application errors. Thanks a lot for your help.

• 6.  Re: Monitor ASP & VB6 applications in .Net environment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 04, 2010 11:29 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi Senthil,  In addition to my previous post...  I was working on another issue and  I found the attached free EPA Java extension available in the community site : LogReader.jar
    https://community.wilytech.com/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=491&externalID=2078&fromSearchPage=trueThis public Java extension gives you the option to quickly define the metrics in the format and match specific strings, but it only provides 2 values per metric:- 1 if there is no match
    - 2 if there was a match during the past 30 seconds  For more information, see the readme file. The source code is also available so you can reuse it if you need to.   I have tested it against EM log to generate metrics for users connections -see screenshot.  Another possibility is to use  perl script to read log files, it allows you to create simple parsers very quickly. You can also use the XML module to produce the EPA output. however, it will require some customization: http://search.cpan.org/~lukec/File-LogReader-0.04/lib/File/LogReader.pm  I hope this helps too.  Regards,  Sergio

Attachment(s)

zip
    logreader_package.zip   90 KB 1 version