DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Posted Dec 06, 2013 01:36 PM

How can we setup an alert if agent stop reporting data in wily? I am looking for agent monitoring and metric monitoring.

Agent Monitoring - trigger email/ticket alert when agent goes down or not reporting

Metric Monitoring - trigger email/ticket alert when specific metric is not reporting

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

bits

• 2.  RE: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2013 01:46 PM

Both of those can be done using any number of techniques. Please search the threads as this has been discussed many times over the years with varying degrees of success.

The biggest thing you need to do when setting up your alerts is to use action delays so that you don't overwhelm your users with alerts.

• 3.  RE: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Posted Dec 06, 2013 01:53 PM

Hi hdavis,

Thanks for your reply.

I did some search on the community page , couldn't find anything useful. Can you please share some threadlinks.

Also are you talking about action delays under alert definition? My question is towards when metric it self is not reporting not on the metric values which is reporting.

Thanks

bits

• 4.  RE: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2013 01:56 PM

When I'm talking about action delays, the answer is yes it's under the alert configuration.

As to what you're attempting to do, you will still have to set your alert thresholds based upon the metric values and not the metric name. How would you do it otherwise?

• 5.  RE: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2013 01:59 PM

Use the search box (with the green magnifying glass) and type "agent down".

• 6.  RE: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Posted Dec 06, 2013 02:12 PM

Thanks davis, I got some good results this time on the Agent down , will try those options.

What I need on the metric down/not-reporting is - I have setup alerts on few imp metrics, if metric reach the thesholds then alert triggers  but no alert if metric is not reporting. I couldnt find any options to trigger an alert if its not reporting at all.

Thanks

bits

• 7.  RE: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2013 02:20 PM

So you want to send alerts when the metric isn't even showing or is greyed out?

You might have to go the route of creating a JavaScript calculator to create a metric you can alert on. I still think you're better off to create your alert when your particular metric falls to zero and not wait for it to stop reporting or age out.

• 8.  RE: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Posted Dec 24, 2013 02:47 PM

An agent status of 0 is not reporting.

• 9.  RE: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Posted Dec 24, 2013 03:08 PM

Here is a brief step by step guide from CA for creating alerts / dashboards etc.

David

Attachment(s)

pptx
    2 - Dashboard Design.pptx   7.28 MB 1 version

• 10.  Re: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Posted Aug 14, 2017 05:29 PM

Best guides I have seen yet. Thanks so much !! 

• 11.  Re: Agent and metric monitoring in CA APM(9.1.5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 12, 2015 08:42 PM

Marking as answered.