Plex 2E

View Only
  • 1.  size of variables

Posted Aug 27, 2019 04:46 AM
    As part of a greater package of pending enhancements (maybe pending forever) we are colliding these days with size of variables: we are requiring to manage data out of Plex limits (json data, text files from messaging or logging having very large size). It could be managed partially in WinC, but hardly in IBM i, even though RPGIV have some enhancements we could use. RPGIV have pointers and let variables and fields grow to 16MB. But the max size in Plex for a field and a variable container limits size to 64KB. I can't pass a larger variable than 64KB to a read/write API. It is a problem, as said, managing web services, IFS files, log files, sending and receiving data.
    As regard this issue, I would suggest for next Plex version having an eye on these issues, and upgrading concepts to a true 64 bit environment: APIs like GetLength or generally speaking, string management ridiculously uses parms of 4 digits. Varying fields are no real varying RPGIV fields; several data types are unusables, WinC fields are constrained to MFC limits.

And returning to current status, I wonder if other colleagues have faced these issues, and have suggestions to strugle with them.
    Kindly
    Jorge Ubeda

• 2.  RE: size of variables
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 28, 2019 04:37 AM
    Dear Jorge and all,

We agree with Jorge because we have had two problems with managing type/size fields. On the one hand, "Fld AS400 format" because there are fewer types such as "varying" that exists in DB2 for i. On the other hand, regarding BLOB fields due to the fact Plex BLOB does not suit with BLOB/CLOB SQL DB2 type.

In our opinion, Plex should update technical features in order to match with current "DB2 for i" possibilities.

Best regards,

Alberto Calvo