Plex 2E

View Only
  • 1.  CA 2E Syon, Unexpected behavior when adding a new field to table

Posted Aug 19, 2019 11:19 AM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Aug 19, 2019 04:46 PM

We have never experienced this. Is this normal behavior?

The new table now exists with all fields are populated with data.

We added a date field to a file (by using a 'refers to'), and then generating the file.   The file became empty afterward as is normal.   We then manually repopulated this file with data that was saved off from another library.    

A few days later, we decided that we needed to remove the 'refers to' file (for the date field) and change the file to be 'Owned by' this file rather than 'refers to'.      When we generated the file this time, all the data stayed (or repopulated itself automatically).    Even the date field which now became one of the keys.

Since we did not understand where the data came from, we deleted the gened file and all access paths, and regenned them.    Again, the data was repopulated automatically.     Where did this data come from?      

Secondly, when we promote this new file structure into production, how will it affect the production data?    Will it retain the current data and populate the new date key correctly, or will the file be cleared out and need to be manually restored (as is the norm)?

CA 2E Syon V 8.7 PTF 1632

Thanks

#ca_2e

​​​

• 2.  RE: CA 2E Syon, Unexpected behavior when adding a new field to table

Posted Aug 23, 2019 09:34 AM

As no one in the communities was able to asst me with this question, and I was unable to find any thing in the Knowledge base
    I submitted a service request.

Scott Johnson promptly closed the request with out providing any assistance.

• 3.  RE: CA 2E Syon, Unexpected behavior when adding a new field to table

Posted Sep 20, 2019 09:38 AM
    Edward, 

Sorry I've been off the boards for a while and didn't see this question.

Can you check the model for YCPYLIB,  If this has a value, it could be why you are seeing data copy back into your physical files.  The default action when generating a physical file is for it to check this library and if the file is there, copy that data back into the newly created physical.

The second question will depend on the change management system that you use to deploy objects to production.  Some have a save/restore type option built in and some don't   YMMV

Eamonn

------------------------------
    [Designation]
    CA 2e / IBM I Architect
    CMFirst Group
    [WebsiteUrl]
    ------------------------------