Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  Will the VS Down/ Unresponsive for Unknown Stateless Requests

Posted Sep 25, 2019 08:21 AM
    Edited by Suryateja Devanaboina Sep 25, 2019 09:42 AM
    Hi All,

Currently I'm using DevTest v10.3 with Performance License.

During the load tests, some of the virtual services are receiving the Unknown Stateless Requests.  For unknown stateless requests, we've configured the response. But sometimes we're receiving huge no.of Unknown Stateless Requests (789 per 2 hours).

I could see all these stateless requests are written as warning messages in the <VSName>.log file. 

Will this cause the VS to go offline or make unresponsive ?. Please clarify me.

• 2.  RE: Will the VS Down/ Unresponsive for Unknown Stateless Requests

Posted Sep 25, 2019 11:24 AM

Hi,

My understanding: you have configured a response, so if an unknown stateless requests comes in then the VS provides an answer and the normal transaction count goes up. The error count of the virtual services does NOT go up.

If so, then this is perfectly normal behavior, for the virtual service this is not an unknown request because it has an answer for it. I would not expect your VS to go down or become unresponsive (that might be different if the error count goes up but there are solutions there too)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Danny

::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 3.  RE: Will the VS Down/ Unresponsive for Unknown Stateless Requests

Posted Sep 25, 2019 12:01 PM
    Hi Danny,

Yes, we've configured the response, not to increase the error count. 

my worry is, due to these unknown requests, I see lot of warning messages are written in the <VSName>.log file.

So I'll assume these doesn't impact on the VS/VSE during the load testing. Please correct my understanding. 

• 4.  RE: Will the VS Down/ Unresponsive for Unknown Stateless Requests

Posted Sep 25, 2019 12:03 PM

Hi,

I would expect not a problem (it's just a warning ��)

Can you post an example of such a warning?

Cheers,

Danny

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 5.  RE: Will the VS Down/ Unresponsive for Unknown Stateless Requests

Posted Sep 25, 2019 12:07 PM
    Hi Danny, 

Please find the below sample warning message.

2019-09-24 17:08:06,183Z (19:08)[CordysZMValue [VS_ZSMART_Volume_CordysZMValue_Run]/41] WARN - No Match Request <?xml version="1.0" ?>

<request operation="GET /Virtualize/ZSMART/Volume/CordysZMValue" matchTolerance="EXACT">
    <attributes>
    <parameter name="HTTP-Segment-Attr-0">Virtualize</parameter>
    <parameter name="HTTP-Segment-Attr-1">ZSMART</parameter>
    <parameter name="HTTP-Segment-Attr-2">Volume</parameter>
    <parameter name="HTTP-Segment-Attr-3">CordysZMValue</parameter>
    </attributes>
    <metaData>
    <parameter name="HTTP-Method">GET</parameter>
    <parameter name="HTTP-URI">/Virtualize/ZSMART/Volume/CordysZMValue</parameter>
    <parameter name="HTTP-Version">1.1</parameter>
    <parameter name="Cache-Control">no-cache</parameter>
    <parameter name="Pragma">no-cache</parameter>
    <parameter name="User-Agent">Java/1.8.0_181</parameter>
    <parameter name="Host">swnc7r1074.kpnnl.local:8302</parameter>
    <parameter name="Accept">text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, */*; q=.2</parameter>
    <parameter name="Connection">keep-alive</parameter>
    <parameter name="lisa.vse.request.client.id">10.11.57.16:36389</parameter>
    </metaData>
    </request>

• 6.  RE: Will the VS Down/ Unresponsive for Unknown Stateless Requests

Posted Sep 25, 2019 12:23 PM

Hi,

This warning is harmless. I can only guess what you did when added a response for this unknown request. If you added a specific transaction for operation "GET /Virtualize/ZSMART/Volume/CordysZMValue" then I would not expect a warning. Where and how exactly did you do it? Can you post a printscreen of your VSI where you configured the response for this "GET /Virtualize/ZSMART/Volume/CordysZMValue" request?

Do all the unknown requests have the same operation (and similar no arguments)

Cheers,

Danny

• 7.  RE: Will the VS Down/ Unresponsive for Unknown Stateless Requests

Posted Sep 25, 2019 01:10 PM
    Hi Danny,

Currently we're capturing the "First element after the body tag in Soap Request" and setting as operation. 

1. In Listener Step, with Data Protocol Filter, setting the operation. 

2. Then, in the VSI using the same value as operation

For unknown requests, I configured the response in Service Image:-

Yes, it will have the operation without arguments, Please advice me on how to handle these requests.

• 8.  RE: Will the VS Down/ Unresponsive for Unknown Stateless Requests
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 25, 2019 01:35 PM

Ok, this is how I was thinking you fixed.

And that's ok, it will give the warning, but that is harmless. You have adapted the response that normally goes back to the client saying: "The requested URL was not found on this server The LISA VSE service could not match your request to a recorded request. Consider expanding your service image."

It is a warning because the interface/contract between the SUT and your virtual service (as a simulation for the production backend) is not behaving as expected. You have a SOAP service and some client system is sending GET-requests. (The only GET requests that you can expect are requests for the WSDL). So, something is wrong somewhere in your client system (not in your virtual service).

The client ip address sending the GET is 10.11.57.16 , have you been able to identify if that is (part of) your System Under Test? If it is, that points to either a bug in your SUT or to a misconfiguration of your test environment (some REST service is configured with the ip and port of your SOAP service)

Now, if you want to get rid of the warnings than you have to "accept"  this bug or misconfiguration. To do so, you can add in your VSI a new transaction, not a SOAP transaction but a transaction with operation  "GET /Virtualize/ZSMART/Volume/CordysZMValue" and no arguments. You can look at the XML representation of the request in the log to see what the VSM presents to the "VS Image Response Selection" step. If you adapt the VSI in the way that such a signature is present then you will get a match and no warning anymore.

And yes, now your VSI mixes SOAP and REST but as mentioned above, if it is not flagged or accepted as a bug or environment misconfiguration than that is what the contract is and what the virtual service needs to implement.

Cheers,

Danny

• 9.  RE: Will the VS Down/ Unresponsive for Unknown Stateless Requests

Posted Sep 26, 2019 01:01 AM
    Hi Suryateja,

I believe if you create a void transaction with Operation match as "GET /Virtualize/ZSMART/Volume/CordysZMValue" in vsi, this may help you with no errors in log files.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Vaibhav Jain
    Capgemini
    ------------------------------