Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  DevTest Database cleanup

Posted Sep 29, 2019 09:00 AM
    Friends,
    The size of the database folder in DevTest home is currently about 30 GB. The folder seg0 at the location "\\CA\DevTest\database\lisa.db" is 29.5 GB alone. Is there any utility to cleanup the database? Would I be able to connect to the DB using a client and view it's contents?

Any inputs greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Regards,
    Prashanth

• 2.  RE: DevTest Database cleanup
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2019 09:43 PM
    Hi Prashanth,
           When you do load/performance test on test cases or writing more events to the database, size of the database will grow. Which will degrade performance of Devtest.
           As you are using default database, lisa.db is reached to 30GB. If you do not require old data, you can take backup of lisa.db and recreate the database by restarting the registry.  You can connect to derby using external tools (dbVisualizer) and clean up the data. But any manual changes to database is not supported. For better performance, configure registry to external database.

Thanks,
    Srikanth

• 3.  RE: DevTest Database cleanup

Posted Sep 30, 2019 09:10 PM
    Thank you @Srikanth Gajawada
    For now we do not have much options to use an external DB and will have to stick with the default DB for some more time. Before I cleanup the entire folder, I would just like to understand the data that would be lost.

1) All data inserted through Persistent Data Model
    2) All the Test Monitor data
    3) All deployed VSEs.
    4) All Metrics and historical data like user deployments of VSEs, etc.

Please correct me if anything above is wrong or if the above list is missing anything important.

Thanks and Regards,
    Prashanth

• 4.  RE: DevTest Database cleanup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 30, 2019 11:02 PM
    Hi Prashanth,

Reply to your question on will you loos below data when you take backup of lisa.db folder?

1) All data inserted through Persistent Data Model
             <If you have any data inserted manually through data model to derby database, that data will be erased>

2) All the Test Monitor data
          < YES, data related to previous tests which you have executed in the past will be cleaned. So, you will not get reports of previous executions.> If you have scheduled any tests through CVS monitor, those test cases will not be deleted. Because, these data are stored on server at <Devtest_HOME>/CVSMonitor folder.>

3) All deployed VSEs.
          <No, you will not loose any deployed VSE's. all devployed vse details are stored in <Devtest_home>/vseDeploy folder.

4) All Metrics and historical data like user deployments of VSEs, etc.
             <Except the user deployed services, all metrics and historic data captured for vse reports will be lost>

Thanks,
    Srikanth

• 5.  RE: DevTest Database cleanup

Posted Oct 01, 2019 07:49 AM
    Thank you @Srikanth Gajawada. The above post is really helpful.

• 6.  RE: DevTest Database cleanup

Posted Oct 13, 2019 08:45 AM
      |   view attached
    @Srikanth Gajawada
    I did try deleting the entire lisa.db contents after taking a backup. Followed the below steps:
    1) Shutdown the service in the proper sequence.
    2) Deleted the contents of the lisa.db folder.
    3) Restarted the services in the proper sequence.
    4) Registry failed to restart. (attached is the log)
    5) Coped the file service.properties file into lisa.db from the backup.
    6) Tried a restart of the services, registry failed to start again.

Am getting the attached error. For now I have restored from the backup so that the team's productivity is not impacted. Can you please suggest if there are any additional steps to be performed?

Thanks

Attachment(s)

• 7.  RE: DevTest Database cleanup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 13, 2019 09:38 PM
    Hi Prashanth,

Small correction in your step-2. Instead of deleting the contents of lisa.db folder, delete complete lisa.db (After you took backup) folder and restart the registry service. Which will re-create derby database for registry service.

Thanks
    Srikanth

• 8.  RE: DevTest Database cleanup

Posted Oct 14, 2019 10:34 PM
    Thank you @Srikanth Gajawada Things worked after the above correction. ​​

Also would like to mention for the benefit of others that all the user logins and roles would be deleted as well.