Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  FTP protocol with DevTest

Posted Mar 04, 2020 04:08 AM
    Hi Team,

Deployed Virtual service should read the request files from the network drive continuously  and process the request and place the appropriate response file back to the network drive.
     Is the above requirement is achievable in Devtest using FTP step or do you have any other suggestions on the same.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: FTP protocol with DevTest

Posted Mar 04, 2020 04:12 AM
    Hi,

Yes, achievable, BUT not inside a virtual service because there is no "request" that one can listen for. Instead, create an Application Test tescase that reads files and processes them as needed (in a loop until all processed). Then, schedule that testcase to run once a minute using CVS.

------------------------------
    Cheers,
    Danny
    Architect
    HCL Enterprise Studio

• 3.  RE: FTP protocol with DevTest

Posted Mar 04, 2020 06:26 AM
    Thanks Danny for the reply.

Means that , in the test case there will be two FTP steps , one for reading the request file from the network path and other for uploading the processed response file  in the network drive  and run the test case in a loop until the test case processes  all the request files from the network drive.

is that correct?

Thank you

• 4.  RE: FTP protocol with DevTest
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 04, 2020 08:32 AM

Hi,

I wasn't going into the details of how you need to do your actual processing, I just wanted to make you aware that a virtual service cannot do FTP polling and to be able to have a program running "forever" (or until you decide to stop it) you can use CVS.

For the actual processing inside the test case I only have questions right now:

• I assume you do not know how exactly a new file will be called, so you will have to do an FTP-get using wildcards?
    • How are source files on the remote host removed once they are processed? You want to avoid FTPing the same files over and over again (because you're using wildcards)

But in general, yes, your testcase will have a GET FTP-step which gets zero, one or more request files. Then a loop to process all those file with inside the loop a PUT FTP-step to uploading the processed response file  in the network drive

Cheers,

Danny

::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 5.  RE: FTP protocol with DevTest

Posted Mar 05, 2020 05:01 AM
    Hi Danny,

thanks for the confirmation.

Here are  the answers:
    I assume you do not know how exactly a new file will be called, so you will have to do an FTP-get using wildcards? [Danny] 
    -- We have never done this before using Devtest .Hence given a thought of FTP-get [Me]
    How are source files on the remote host removed once they are processed? You want to avoid FTPing the same files over and over again (because you're using wildcards) [Danny]
    -- the request files get deleted by itself  from the network drive as soon as it is consumed by any source (example: Devtest), so it wouldn't create any such issues [Me]

Application places the request files in the network drive and the DevTest  Virtual service or test case should read the files and process the request and place the appropriate response file back to another network drive.

Hope this clears.