Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  Server requirements and pre-installed s/w

Posted Mar 06, 2020 12:12 AM
    Hi All,

Require your support on the below questions:

1 Server requirements -

For installing the CA Dev Test SV components (Server + Workstation + VSE + IAM etc.) what are the server requirements. Can all of them be

installed in a single server or not.  I went through the documentation but bit confused. This will be for a full fledge customer . So needed to what is

the best practice for the same.

2 Any Pre-Installed software required for DevTest components. (If virtualizing SAP calls etc.)

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Soumya

• 2.  RE: Server requirements and pre-installed s/w

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2020 02:49 AM
    Hi Soumya
                 Great question. Can all the components of DevTest co-exist on the same machine ? Absolutely yes. This is the plain simple answer that I can give without knowing what your requirements are with respect to the following:

1. What are you going to use the product for ? Virtualization or Testing ?
    2. If Virtualization, how many virtual services are you planning ? What is the expected throughput in terms of expected transactions per sec. How many concurrent users will access the VS ? Are you planning to run your VS in performance mode for load testing ?
    3. If you are planning to use for testing, how many test cases are being planned ? Are you planning to do load testing ?

There may be more such questions with respect to the product usage that you could find out. This would help suggest a robust deployment architecture.

I am aware of customers who use dedicated servers to run their VSE environments. You may have multiple VSE services run on the same system or run on different systems.

IF testing is your priority, then SIMULATOR services can be deployed on Dedicated machines if the expected load is going to be high. 

Bottom line, try to find out how the product is going to be used today and what will be the expected usage growth for next 12-24 months. When you plan for a deployment Architecture, we should make sure the architecture can scale well for future expansion needs as well.

regards
    Sankar

Sankar Natarajan
    Service Virtualization Product Engineering Team
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Server requirements and pre-installed s/w

Posted Mar 06, 2020 03:06 AM
    Hi Sankar,

Thanks very much for your quick and prompt response. We really appreciate it.

This is for one of the existing customer we are proposing SV as part of transformation. We are currently in the initial QnA stage and planning for a PoC. This is mostly a SAP predominant system along with other systems as well.

In this context, could you please let us know for initial pre-requisites for CA Dev Test installation only wrt creating VS. For now we are not thinking about performance testing or API testing. 
    I think for doing the PoC we can go ahead with the single server and install all components together. Later based on the usage and growth , we can plan for the stable server requirements. Could you please let me know your thoughts if my understanding and approach is correct.

Soumya

• 4.  RE: Server requirements and pre-installed s/w
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2020 04:31 AM
    Hi Soumya
             Yes starting with a single server is fine to do POC. Just make sure the system has cpu and cores  as specified in the product documentation -> system requirements section. Please ensure there is at least 8-12 GB ram for devtest components exclusively. The product comes with embedded Derby database which is ok for a POC and you may eventually move to a production class external DB.

I am not aware if there are special requirements for SAP virtualization. Lets see if someone experienced in this area can chip in. 

Regards
    Sankar