Service Virtualization

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

• 1.  SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

Posted Apr 08, 2021 09:47 AM
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm working on a Customer site and I'm showing him how to use L7 and SV together.

First of all we used a swagger to create a VS, and it's Ok.

Now I'd like to show the direct integration between SV and L7 but:

1) DevTest documentation speaks of a L7 "Command-line Migration Tool" which includes cmt2.jar, that I do not find.
    2) I found the announcement for API Virtualization package (https://support.broadcom.com/external/content/release-announcements/CA-API-Gateway-Virtualization-2.0-General-Availability-Announcement/3025) that I could download and install from Policy Manager, but I do not find any docs on how to use it.

Could you point me to any docs that I could use to understand better?

Thanks, Pino

• 2.  RE: SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 13, 2021 05:25 PM
    Edited by Marcy Nunns Apr 13, 2021 06:00 PM
    Pino,

I am doing some research on this for you.  I went to the Layer 7 Communities page and posted a question and where to get that jar. As soon as I get an answer I will let you know.

Regards,
    Marcy

------------------------------
    Technical Support Engineer III
    Broadcom, Inc

• 3.  RE: SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

Posted Apr 14, 2021 03:23 AM
    Hello Marcy,
    thanks for the update.

In the meantime I was able to progress. Here follow what I found:

1) I obtained the jar from support (case 32640490) but they mentioned that the tool is no more supported so in case of any problem I could not raise any request. I tried using DT 10.6 and L7 v10 but I could not start the virtualization phase, so I gave up. The question here is why this is still in the official documentation if it is not supported, but this is another topic

2) I used the integration provided via the DT Portal (https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/devops/devtest-solutions/10-6/using/using-application-insight/integrate-with-api-management.html). It installs a policy on L7 and after that you can get the transactions from the gateway. It also creates and populates some variables on the Gateway. However from Policy Manager I saw that this should be used for POC only.

3) I removed the Integration made in 2) and installed the API Virtualization skaar from L7. This package install apolicy (disabled by default) and some variables that have to be populated. As these variables are similar to the ones I saw in 2) I could insert the right values. Then I activated the policy and I could create R/R pairs or directly a Virtual Service as for 2)

This is what I found and I hope it is correct, btw it would be great to get a pointer to the official documentation for "API Virtualization 2.0" package and also understand if we should use 2) or 3).

Best regards, Pino

• 4.  RE: SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2021 09:08 AM
    Thanks for the update Pino.  Here is what I got back from the Layer 7 people:

Broadcom, Inc

• 5.  RE: SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

Posted Apr 14, 2021 09:33 AM
    Thank you Marcy,
    unfortunately DevTest documentation refers to cmt2.jar for L7 virtualization (up to 8.x) (https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/devops/devtest-solutions/10-6/using/using-service-virtualization/using-devtest-workstation-with-service-virtualization/creating-service-images/create-a-service-image-from-layer-7.html) 

BR, Pino

• 6.  RE: SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2021 09:29 AM
    Pino,

I found this on the API Virtualization 2.0 package:

https://support.broadcom.com/external/content/release-announcements/CA-API-Gateway-Virtualization-2.0-General-Availability-Announcement/3025

Hope this helps.

~Marcy

Broadcom, Inc

• 7.  RE: SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

Posted Apr 14, 2021 09:34 AM
    Thanks Marcy,
    I think this is the same link I inserted in the original post. However this is just an announcement, there is no explanation on how to use it.

BR, Pino

• 8.  RE: SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2021 09:53 AM
    Edited by Marcy Nunns Apr 14, 2021 09:57 AM
    Pino,

I will get the information on where the API Virtualization 2.0 package documentation is.

~Marcy

Broadcom, Inc

• 9.  RE: SV-Layer 7 integration via API Virtualization sskar and/or cmt2.jar

Posted Apr 14, 2021 10:02 AM
    Thank you Marcy,
    the package is between the ones you can download for API Gateway. I downloaded, installed and configured it.

However I didn't find any docs that explains how to configure it and, most important, which is the recomended/supported way to virtualize calls to API GW.

BTW do not worry too much about that, for the current project the virtualization point is "after" the GW, so I do not need it now. However Customer was curious about these integrations.

Best regards, Giuseppe​