Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions

Posted May 15, 2019 05:06 AM

Hi Team,

We are seeing the below warning messages continuously in VSE logs. So please conform us, whether is this warning due to the VSE doesn't have the performance license ?

WARN com.itko.lisa.coordinator.VSETransactionLicensingManager - Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions.

Devtest Version: 10.3

• 2.  Re: Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions
    Best Answer

Posted May 15, 2019 05:15 AM

Yes, this is because you are running a Functional Testing VSE and the tps received is more then 10tps.

There should not be any loss of requests, they are queued inside the vse and only processed at a rate of 10 tps.

If this is a virtual service where you have added or manipulated steps inside the virtual service model then doublecheck if all the “wait times” for all the steps are still at 0. If the processing of a request is (artificially) delayed due too wait times then you reach the 10 tps even faster.

Cheers,

Danny

• 3.  Re: Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions

Posted May 15, 2019 05:34 AM

Thanks Danny

• 4.  RE: Re: Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 09, 2022 04:43 PM
    Edited by Frederick Slama Feb 09, 2022 04:43 PM
    Hi,

Running DevTest10.6 I am seeing the same messages in the log ...

2022-02-09 21:36:22,269Z (16:36) [<simulation name here> [VS_<sim name here>_Run]/1] WARN com.itko.lisa.coordinator.VSETransactionLicensingManager - Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions.

... but I am not clear on the answer given above.
    Do these messages indicate a true performance limit/rate imposed by a license policy?
    When you say "Functional Testing VSE", do you mean to imply there is a "performance" version that I should download?

Regards,
    Fred

• 5.  RE: Re: Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2022 12:35 AM
    Hi Fred
          Your license permitting, performance VSE is an option that can be enabled by adding the following property in local.properties file.

lisa.vse.performance.enabled=true

In Functional VSE mode, the Virtual Service capacity is limited to 1. Besides, the throughput is limited to 10 Transactions/sec.

The WARN message that you have noticed in the log file occurs because the virtual service may be getting more hits than it can handle, i.e. beyond 10 tx/sec.

--
    regards
    Sankar Natarajan

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.

• 6.  RE: Re: Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2022 05:07 AM
    Hi Fred,

The Performance VSE has its own license. It's not a matter of downloading another version, it is a matter of contacting your Broadcom account representative to find out of you can use that license.

However, if your virtual services are not used to support performance and/or load testing than there is not  necessarily an issue, the VSE does not loose any incoming requests, it only gates the response output to 10tps, some delay might be experienced

Cheers, 
    Danny 

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.

• 7.  RE: Re: Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2022 08:57 AM
    First, thank you both (Danny & Sankar) for responding so quickly.
    We are simulating a device at very large scale and require un-throttled REST responses for maximum request-response throughput.
    I spoke with Broadcom license support and they indicate that only one license type is available for 10.6 (which I renewed).
    I will try specifying the option lisa.vse.performance.enabled=true to see if that resolves the issue.

Regards,
    Fred

• 8.  RE: Re: Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2022 09:11 AM
    Confirmed. Messages no longer appears and performance throughput is markedly faster -- perfect. Thanks again.

• 9.  RE: Re: Transaction processing speed is being gated due to licensing restrictions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2022 11:58 AM
    @Frederick Slama Let me try to help clarify.  The team that provides you a license file is indicating that there is only one license file to activate the product (ie. the devtestlic.xml file used by the Enterprise Dashboard).  That said, your entitlements in your Service Virtualization contract (example: number of transaction packs, number of concurrent power users, and number of concurrent performance VSEs determine what you are allowed to run based on your licensing.  I hope this information is helpful. ​