Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  Parsing filters for DevTest logs ?

Posted Nov 02, 2016 10:12 AM

To optimize DevTest admin we centralize the distributed logs (Registry, VSE, EDashboard)  with Filebeat / Logstash / Elasticsearch / Kibana suite.

Do you have "grok" filters available to parse the log message structure?  

• 2.  Re: Parsing filters for DevTest logs ?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 02, 2017 05:12 PM

pbernard.1 Did you ever get the GROK commands to work against the DevTest log files? If so, can you share your findings?

I just started looking at ElasticStack as a technique to parse the different types of output seen in the DevTest logs. I am curious if the following configuration gets the Elastic Stack output formatted close enough...  I would like the flow from filebeat -> logstash -> elastic stack and then use Kibana to render the dashboard.

Enable filebeat to handle multiple lines when reading log files. The date/time stamp is an indicator of a new line.

filebeat.yml file:

paths:

- <path to log files>\vse.log

- <path to logs>\vse_matches.log

multiline.pattern: '^%(TIMESTAMP_ISO8601)'

multiline.negate: true

multiline.match: after

Set up a grok to parse the date/time, define [Event Sink...] as "desc", INFO as "loglevel", com.itko... as "class", and remainder of the output until the new line as the "message".

logstash.conf

filter {

grok {

match => { "message" => "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601}( \()%{HOUR}:%{MINUTE}(\) |\)\[)%{GREEDYDATA:desc}(\] )%{LOGLEVEL}( )%{GREEDYDATA:class}( - )%{GREEDYDATA:message}" }

}

Found this site to test grok commands: Test grok patterns 

Found this site that shows some of the 'canned' grok patterns: logstash/grok-patterns at v1.4.2 · elastic/logstash · GitHub  

Passed in some different combinations of log messages and the pattern worked.

I have not tried multi-line output yet.