Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  Create New table using Datamaker

Posted Jun 06, 2020 08:11 PM
    Edited by Prasad Raghu Jun 06, 2020 08:12 PM
    Hi,

I have couple of questions:
    1. I have logged into an oracle database as data source. Now when I create a new table from within Datamaker using "Perform actions on Registered objects" window, where does this table actually get created? Does it get created in the CA TDM respository or oracle database? I was unable to find this table in either of them.
    2. Suppose I have a usecase where I need to join a table with 2 csv files where all the 3 have a common column called CUSTID and few of the columns from table and 2 CSV files needs to be published onto a spreadsheet. How can I prepare a datapool with output columns and map the columns from these 3 datasources quickly using accelerator (Data creation assistant)? I do not want to manually add a SQL query for each column using data painter. Please help.

Thanks,
    Prasad

------------------------------
    Manager
    Cognizant Tech Soln
    Missouri

• 2.  RE: Create New table using Datamaker

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 09, 2020 08:51 AM
    Hi Prasad,

1.  When you create a new table in Datamaker's Actions on Registered Objects, it produces metadata related to the table in the repository, not a physical table.   If you wish to use Datamaker to create a table in an Oracle database, use the SQL Window and standard Oracle commands to perform this operation

2.  This sort of use case appears to be more suited to a Javelin flow that can orchestrate multiple steps to produce output.  
          I'd recommend starting with the Examples on this doc page:  https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/devops/test-data-management/4-9/javelin/visual-flow-examples.html

They cover how to read CSV files, and how to perform Oracle commands within a flow.

• 3.  RE: Create New table using Datamaker

Posted Jun 09, 2020 12:56 PM
    Hi Scott,

1. Thanks for your sharing the details on "new table" creation using Datamaker actions. I understood how it works know. I was wondering why I couldn't see the table anywhere in the source or target schema. Now it makes sense..

2. Do you have any documentation around the "data accelerator"? I would like to understand more in depth about Data accelerator / Data creation assistant. Suppose I have a table say Table A in source db. I have created a Temp table in target db with same structure as Table A. Now I want to use the accelerator to quickly identify the mapping between the columns of Table A and Temp table and generate the syntax -  @seqlov(0,@sqllist(source,SELECT * FROM TABLE A)@,~COLUMN_NAME~)@​  automatically for me for all the columns. How would I do that using Datamaker? Majority of our usecases are revolving around this. I have made it simple by using just 1 table for explaining my usecase however in actual scenario we have multiple source tables which we need to join and certain columns from each of those multiple tables would have to be mapped to the Temp table.

Thanks,
    Prasad

Manager
    Cognizant Tech Soln
    Missouri

• 4.  RE: Create New table using Datamaker
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 10, 2020 08:34 AM
    For 2. you have a couple of options here, 
    (1) use the Data Creation Assistant in the Clone mode to auto-generate syntax that you would then copy/paste into your target Datapool to satisfy the actual scenario you've described.     This Youtube video describes how to perform a clone operation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIndPTIspRg
    Again, you would copy selected field/table formulas to populate your "real" Datapool.
    (2) consider using the Javelin example "BulkCopyOratoOra" as a foundation, as that incorporates a field mapping capability to copy data from one Oracle table/field to another.