Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  about scramble db

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2020 05:37 AM

hi all,

I need an information about scramble db.

How it works? Functions, seedlists etc. 

What is the pros & cons for inplace and inflight masking? 

Which masking type do we suggest to the customer? Is there any examples, success stories?

Thank you very much.
    Cem

• 2.  RE: about scramble db
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 31, 2020 03:06 PM
    The Scramble database has two main functions.  It contains the seed data for both types of masking, inplace and infight, and it contains the masking functions used when running inflight masking.  For masking the main seed table is GTSRC_REFERENCE_DATA.  Have a look.  There is nothing special about the layout.

It is not a case of pros or cons when doing either inplace masking or inflight masking.  It depends on your particular use case.   If your requirement is to copy (subset) data from production or a secure source and you require the data to be masked immediately (during the copy process) then inflight is the way forward.  If speed is required, eg need to mask millions of rolls quickly then inplace masking with the FDM masking engine might be the way forward.  (using the Portal's scale masking option)  I could go on but I think you get the point.  It depends.

• 3.  RE: about scramble db

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2020 09:17 AM
    Hi Billy,

Thank you very much for your information.

If we choose inflight and use scramble in a production db, what is the load and performance risks in this live db instance?
    And, How scramble masking functions works while masking? For example, while hashing or using scramble db seedlists.

Thanks in advance,
    Regards
    Cem.