Test Data Manager

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

• 1.  Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Aug 12, 2019 10:34 AM
    Hello,

I have generated import and export bat files from GT Subset , we know we can execute the batch files created by the following commands from command prompt
    1) TO EXPORT:
    "<file name.bat> <user name> <password> <server>".
    2) TO IMPORT:
     "<file name.bat> <user name> <password> <server> <target database name>".

now I need to execute the same files from Javelin,  can you please suggest the best option to invoke these bat files from Javelin.

InvokePowershell is one of the options which lets us to execute batch files , but it needs arguments to be specified(can we use this option? if Yes what arguments needs to be passed, if no which is the next option which helps us in executing the batch files.)

I need help In choosing the best option to execute these batch files from Javelin where the Export and Import bat files run.

NOTE : I have tried subsetting using Javelin Example: Subset Bulk Copy , but my requirement is to subset and mask data at the same time before the data is being copied from Source to Target.

Thanks,
    Deepak S

• 2.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Aug 13, 2019 02:59 AM
    Hi Deepak,

You can use SubsetORADataPumpExportActivity and SubsetORADataPumpImportActivity for your requirement.

DataPump

Best,

------------------------------
    Cihan Ankara
    Managing Consultant

GUNITTECH | Altıntepe Mah. Istasyon Yolu Sk. No:3/1-130 | Maltepe/ISTANBUL | 34840
    Office: +90(216)7061261 | Mobile: +90(530)5499646 | cihan.ankara@gunittech.com

• 3.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Aug 13, 2019 06:21 AM
    Hi Cihan,

Thanks for your reply,

The Database which I am working with is SQL Server can you suggest me an option for SQL Server type?

Also i could see there is SubsetSSDataPumpExportActivity and SubsetSSDataPumpImportActivity which has the same options as SubsetORADataPumpExportActivity and SubsetORADataPumpImportActivity can I use them for SQL Server export/Import?

Thanks,
    Deepak S

• 4.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 13, 2019 06:32 AM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Aug 16, 2019 11:43 AM
    Hi Deepak,

As far as I know, these are for Oracle Use only. However, with the new version of Javelin, Product Management might put for MSSQL also. You may try it by importing the Common.dll ( I cannot remember the exact file name) under Javelin installation directory to see of it exists or not. If not you may write a custom extension to provide similar functionality for MSSQL.

Best,

Cihan Ankara
    Managing Consultant

GUNITTECH | Altıntepe Mah. Istasyon Yolu Sk. No:3/1-130 | Maltepe/ISTANBUL | 34840
    Office: +90(216)7061261 | Mobile: +90(530)5499646 | cihan.ankara@gunittech.com

• 5.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Aug 13, 2019 06:41 AM
    Thanks once again for the quick response @Cihan Ankara.

@ca support any suggestions for the above scenario?​​​​​​

• 6.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2019 09:11 AM
    Hi Deepak, to run an executable from Javelin, you would use the Invoke Process block.   Below is a Javelin example that can be downloaded from the documentation:    You can explicitly define the arguments, or substitute them with variables to be either updated within the Javelin flow, or to be passed in via a .csv file (see Run Javelin in Batch Mode).

• 7.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Aug 23, 2019 06:09 AM
    Hi Scott,

Using invokeprocessactivity did the trick for me, I was able to execute the flow successfully when I tried executing the workflow from the folder where the Javelin executable was present.is there any possible way to execute the flow from a different folder where the javelin executable is not present.

Thanks for your help

Best Regards,
    Deepak S

• 8.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Nov 06, 2019 03:06 PM
    Hey Scott,
    looks like URL (documentation) you have provided is broken. Can you provide the file with Invoke Process activity.

• 9.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Nov 06, 2019 04:15 PM
    Hi Rajesh,

Please find the documentation on Visual Flow Examples here.

Also, please find the example file (InvokeProcess.vwf) mentioned above either here (or) in the respective directory where Javelin resides for you (C:\Program Files (x86)\Grid-Tools\Javelin\examples).

Best Regards,
    Sunil G...

• 10.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Jan 13, 2020 02:19 AM
    Hi Scott , 

As Cihan mentioned , I don't see the option of  SubsetORADataPumpExportActivity and SubsetORADataPumpImportActivity  on Javelin . Are these additional extensions . I know we can add additional dll through manage extension from menu . Could you please help me understand where can I download these dll .

My requirement is to extract oracle dump .

Regards,
    Chockalingam

• 11.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Aug 14, 2019 08:38 AM
    Hell Cihan,

I do I get all of those Javelin option/tool of SubsetORADataPumpExportActivity SubsetORADataPumpImportActivity etc...? 

I have Javelin v2.0.710.5

Thanks

Francois

• 12.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Aug 14, 2019 11:28 AM
    Hi Fracois,

You need to import the extensions into Javelin, please refer (https://docops.ca.com/ca-test-data-manager/4-7/en/javelin/import-extensions-into-javelin)
    the extension named "GridTools.Javelin.Common.dll"  will display the options which you are looking for. You can also use different extensions which would be useful as per your requirement.

Thanks,
    Deepak S

• 13.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Jan 09, 2020 07:59 AM
    Hi Cihan , 

Can you please help me understand where can I get the dll extension for SubsetORADataPumpExportActivity . 
    Regards,
    Chockalingam

• 14.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Jan 09, 2020 09:21 AM
    Hi Choclalingam,

Kindly refer the below link it will help you on what you are looking for

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/continuous-testing/test-data-management/4-8-1/javelin/import-extensions-into-javelin.html

Thanks,
    Deepak S

• 15.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Jan 22, 2020 08:09 AM
    Hi Deepak , 

In my installation on Javelin I am not able to see the option of SubsetORADataPumpExportActivity SubsetORADataPumpImportActivity . . Could you please direct me where can i find these DLL .

Regards,
    Chockalingam

• 16.  RE: Run Import and Export Batch files from Javelin

Posted Jan 22, 2020 09:04 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi Chockalingam, 

Please follow the steps below

• Launch the Javelin application and click the Javelin logo (in the Ribbon menu icon at top left corner).
    • Click
      Manage Extensions
    • Locate and open the required
      .dll
      file from the following directory: (in your case please select GT.TDMoD.Services.Common.dll)
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Grid-Tools\Javelin
    • Click
      Show Extensions
    • Select the actions, provide an existing or a new group name for Javelin Toolbox.
    • Click
       Import Selected
      , click 
      OK.
    • Restart Javelin. 

once you are able to achieve the above steps you will be able to see the extensions which you are looking for under Common tab in Javelin as attached in the screenshot.

Thanks,
    Deepak S