Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  Inflight Data Masking

Posted Jul 30, 2020 07:56 AM
    Hi Team,

Is Inflight  masking possible for files.

We have production files that are of csv format. Can we mask that file without out taking it from from the production environment (inflight) and create a copy in lower environment.

Thanks,
    Aadhavan

• 2.  RE: Inflight Data Masking

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 30, 2020 09:50 AM
    When masking a file, FDM will write the masked values to another file.  For example if the source file is CUSTOMER1.CSV, the masked file will be CUSTOMER1.CSV.scramble.  You could then copy this file to wherever it needed to be.  The CUSTOMER1.CSV.scramble file is written back to the same folder as the source.  I cant see anyway of controlling where the masked output file is written to.

• 3.  RE: Inflight Data Masking

Posted Jul 31, 2020 09:54 AM
    Hi Billy,

Thanks for your response.

Yes this is how FDM performs masking. My requirement is as below.

We have FDM installed in a windows server. But the productions files to be masked are in Unix path. The files will not be allowed to be copied to lower environments. We have to mask the file in its location itself and move the maskedfile to QA.

In FDM we cannot connect to Unix path(only windows local is allowed). Is there any way we can mask the file in the production location itself by connecting to Unix?

Thanks,
    Aadhavan

• 4.  RE: Inflight Data Masking

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2020 11:35 AM
    If you cant connect via a share of some type, there is no way with FDM on Windows.  FDM can run on unix, so can you install FDM on a unix server and connect to the source file that way.

• 5.  RE: Inflight Data Masking

Posted Aug 03, 2020 02:07 AM
    Hi Billy,

Do we have any other option other than installing FDM in Unix? Installing in unix, we have to go through whole lot of process.

Thanks,
    Aadhavan

• 6.  RE: Inflight Data Masking
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 03, 2020 03:44 AM
    Aadhavan, FDM is a java program and can run anywhere that Java is installed.  I dont know if it would make things easier but you could write the rules etc on windows and copy the runtime artifacts over to unix.  You would need to have copied over the necessary jar files as well.   Would this still be classified as an "install"?   If you cannot link or connect to the unix path from the FDM's server, I dont know of any other way.