Test Data Manager

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all
  • 1.  SEQLOV issue

Posted May 25, 2020 09:29 AM
    Hi Team,

In CA TDM portal SEQLOV function is not providing values in sequence 

I am using the below function

SEQLOV(PERCNULL, @LIST(STRING, STRING[,STRING])@)

If I use this functions as @seqlov(0, @list(Devon,Cornwall,Surrey)@)@  then I am getting values in sequence when data is generated

but if instead of static values if I use functions 
    @seqlov(0, @list(@randtext(1,20)@,@randdigits(3,10)@)@)@
    I am getting only the value of the first function. ie @randtext(1,20)@

How to resolve this issue. Any solutions.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Aadhavan

• 2.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Posted May 25, 2020 10:24 AM
    Hello,

Try using @seqlov(0,@list(@randtext(1,20)@@randdigits(3,10)@)@)@, it gives values of both randtext and randdigits. 
    Ex: ZgAfZeTuidXgkeYka71740763

Regards,
    Rahul.T

• 3.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Posted May 26, 2020 01:00 AM
    Hi Rahul,

Thank you, But this is not how I want. I want to generate negative test data for a field of string data type. So I need all possible negative data in one configuration. So when I publish with 10 repeat all the scenario should be covered.

Thanks,
    Aadhavan

• 4.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 03:25 AM
    Asdhavan, I think this might be a bug.  I would recommend that you open up a support ticket.  In the meantime, why not duplicate your row (have two rows for your generation)  1st row will use the random text and the 2nd row will use the random digits.  Use a repeat count of 5.

• 5.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Posted May 26, 2020 03:37 AM
    Hi Billy,

Did you check this and are you able to replicate this??

Yes that is possible. But the concern here is I have to configure for 389 fields. If I configure 5 rows for each field then I will have to configure for 389*5 times.

• 6.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 01:43 PM
    Aadhavan I dont understand the part about 389 fields.  Could you please explain.
    thanks

• 7.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Posted May 27, 2020 01:59 AM
    Hi Billy,

I am configuring negative data for one field per table. Since I have 389 field I have to configure 389 tables.

Also if I am going to configure 5 rows for each field then it would take my count to 389*5. 

This is for one track. Similarly I have to do for 4 more tracks.

Thanks,
    Aadhavan

• 8.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 27, 2020 03:28 AM
    Hello Aadhavan.  I think things got a bit confused.  Right now you are configuring 1 row for each table with one particular column  being configured as @seqlov(0, @list(@randtext(1,20)@,@randdigits(3,10)@)@)@.   I think this is correct.  This function is not working correctly...yes I was able to reproduce this.  What I am saying to do to get you around this problem is to:
    1. create the row (as you are doing now) in the special column just use the function, @randtext(1,20)@
    2. duplicate the above row, and change the special column to use @randdigits(3,10)@

Because you have 2 rows, when it comes time to generate the data, you only need to specify half the number for the repeat count.

Will this work for you?

• 9.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Posted Jun 15, 2020 08:09 AM
    Hi Billy,

If it is just two functions this method is viable, But I am using 10+ functions one for each category. Cannot create 10 rows for one field. We have 1000+ fields. It is a huge task also maintenance will be heavy.

Thanks,
    Aadhavan

• 10.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2020 09:48 AM
    Totally understand.  Have you created a support ticket for this problem?

Billy

• 11.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Posted Jun 15, 2020 09:53 AM
    Yes I did create a ticket. But got reply as "this is the normal functioning of Seqlov". It could be a life saver if Seqlov works for multiple functions.

• 12.  RE: SEQLOV issue
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 03:40 AM
    Hi Aadhavan,

It looks like this is a defect. I could able to replicate the issue and tried finding an alternate approach, but nothing worked. Please open a support ticket. We will work with engineering team to provide fix.

Thanks,
    Srikanth

• 13.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Posted Jun 23, 2020 11:09 AM
    Hi Aadhavan,

SEQLOV/RANDLOV - LIST function is designed to take static list of values(if a function in it Resolved once during execution) and I believe it should work that way only.

Don't exactly understand why you are using SEQLOV function. Why no just use "@occval(1%@randtext(1,20)@,1%@randdigits(3,10)@)@" if you want to generate random strings or numbers. There are multiple other ways like creating as seedlist/table and then storing the random data in it first and then getting the data from the table. We can help in a better way, if you tell us the actual requirement and not the function to provide correct solution.

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Rajkumar

• 14.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Posted Jun 23, 2020 11:30 AM
    Thanks Rajkumar for your inputs. The requirement is as below

• We are generating negative test data for the and delivering it in form of csv files
    • These negative data has few categories, say if the field is of string type then I will have to generate different categories of data  like Numeric,AlphaNumeric,Boundry Check,Null, Special character check,Symbols check etc. Along with this we have to generate few business validations as well.
    • If I use randlov list then all these categories are not getting covered, as the data generated is random. 

I tried many workarounds and at last settled by creating a seedlist in database using CA TDM and fetching the values from that table using seqlov. This is working now.

If you have any other suggestion for the above requirement please share that.

Thanks in advance

Aadhavan

• 15.  RE: SEQLOV issue

Posted Jun 25, 2020 06:58 AM
    Hi Aadhavan,

You Can create Multiple Variables based on the basic datatype Combinations like chars only, special characters(use function 4),numerics Check
    1. @randdigits(minlen,maxlen)@
    2. @randrange(min,max)@
    3. @randtext(minlen,maxlen,case)@
    4. @randchars(minlen,maxlen,charlist)@ [using this you can generate any kind of data it can even perform the activities of above 3]

and the if you need a to generate random of 2+ different combinations create one more variable using the basic variable and use the below functions
    @occval(n%string,n%string[,n%string...])@
    @percval(n%string,n%string[,n%string...])@

There is no point of using randlov or seqlov in your use case.

just use the variable in you data pool then.

Thanks,
    Rajkumar