Test Data Manager

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Few queries on CA TDM installation

• 1.  Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 06, 2020 02:37 AM
    Hi,

We are trying to install CA TDM (4.8.1). I have few queries on that.

For Repository how many databases are to be created? just gtrep or any additional databases needed?
    Do we need any elevated access for license installation/activation for CA TDM?
    Can we get any support from CA team for the installation in case if we face any issues?

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2020 03:32 AM
    Hi,

For the base TDM installation you will need a repository (gtrep) database, if you are going to use the subset functionality you would also need the scramble database.  The license is configured in the portal at the initial login as an administrator and does not need any special privileges.

You may want to install the latest version of TDM which is TDM is 4.9

Regards
    Keith

------------------------------
    Regards

Keith Puzey
    Client Services Consultant | Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 06, 2020 04:18 AM
    Thanks Keith. We have already downloaded 4.8.1 and about to start installation.
    How to install Scramble database? Will that be taken care by repo installation kit or we have do it manually with the help of DBA?
    Can we get support from CA when we face any issues in installation? if yes please provide details on that

• 4.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 18, 2020 08:16 AM
    Hi Kieth,

I have installed the scramble database for sql server by "Restore Database " option. Once restore done I am able to see two tables with reference data.

The question is I have another folder called scramble that came with the installation files. It has a Scramble schema and a folder with Data for two reference tables. What is this scramble database for. Please clarify which one is needed if we are using subset functionality. 

I have attached the screenshots of both the folder, please suggest which one needs to be used

• 5.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 18, 2020 09:55 AM
    Hello there.  For databases such as Scramble, there is more than one way of installing it.  You happened to choose to do a restore.  You could have used the TDM utility, ca-tdm-db-installer.exe.  They are both the same.  The Scramble database is used during masking if you want to use seed data..eg for functions like hashlov and randlov.  When you subset a database (tables) you have to option to mask the data as you are subsetting it.  If you dont want to mask while preforming a subset, then no access to the scramble database is required.

• 6.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 18, 2020 11:34 AM
    Thanks Billy, I have another one query. The scramble database that I restored has two reference tables only. But functions are not available in the database. But in the scramble schema file there are scripts to create database functions. Is that not needed? Please clarify.

• 7.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 18, 2020 12:21 PM
    Under Scramble you should see Programmability.  Functions should be under this folder.

• 8.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 19, 2020 01:06 AM
    I can see only system functions. Functions exclusive to Scramble database are not found.

• 9.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2020 03:04 AM
    When i restore the SCRAMBLE.BAK file i see.  

• 10.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 19, 2020 03:31 AM
    No I don t have that functions. What to do?

• 11.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2020 05:41 AM
    can you send me a copy of what you do see.  Could this be a permission problem?  What userid are you using to access the sql server database?

• 12.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 19, 2020 05:52 AM
    I am using Database owner account. This account has options to create and modify databases

• 13.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2020 05:59 AM
    the functions are there.  Expand the scalar function folder

• 14.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 19, 2020 06:03 AM
    It is already expanded. No functions inside it.

• 15.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2020 06:14 AM
    Apologies for not picking that up.  I think the best thing is to take this offline and I will send you an email.  Maybe we can set up a webex to see what is happening

• 16.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 19, 2020 06:24 AM
    Hi Billy,

Thank you for the help. Seems like It is an access issue. Once I have changed the access permission I am able to see it now.

• 17.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2020 06:36 AM
    good to hear  :-)

• 18.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Apr 01, 2020 11:41 AM
    Hi Billy,

One query.

While installing CA TDM portal we have provided the credentials to access gtrep database. If we are changing the user name and password for the gtrep database after installation will that affect CA TDM portal.

I am asking this because, in Datamaker we have an option to change the connection settings of gtrep every time it is opened. But CA TDM portal does not provide that option. It directly goes to user login page upon opening.

Thanks in advance

• 19.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 01, 2020 11:55 AM
    Hi, 

We would NOT suggest you to change the password.
    I assume you are speaking the GTREP DB user. 
    If you change, You have to go to application.properties and change the password for the gtrep db user. You will have to use TDM IN-built ENCRYPT tool to change the password. 

If you are changing the ADMIN user password from Datamaker, It should be fine, 

Thanks and Regards,
    Manju

• 20.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Apr 02, 2020 03:34 AM
    Yes it is regarding the gtrep db credentials. Our DBA wants me to revoke the high privilege access that we got for installation. Now we got different credentials. 

I am able to see the application.properties file and the encrypted password. If I were to encrypt my new password. how should I do that using the tool you mentioned.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    Aadhavan

• 21.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2020 08:20 AM
    Hi,

Please find the documentation for Encrypting Passwords

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/continuous-testing/test-data-management/4-9/administrating/use-the-encryption-utility-to-encrypt-passwords.html

Stop the Portal Service and OrinentDB Services, Change the password 
    Screen

Optionally Delete all the logs in %Programdata%Portal..../logs
    Start the Portal Services ..

• 22.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Apr 02, 2020 09:06 AM
    Thank you Manju.

• 23.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Apr 06, 2020 12:58 AM
    Hi Manju,

One more query. I have created the new account for connecting to gtrep. But when I try to use that account in Datamaker connection profile to connect to repository, I am getting the below message

"Please activate the product through TDM Portal first. Please contact support for help." 

But when I try to connect using old account it works. Can you please help me on this

• 24.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2020 04:15 AM
    Aadhavan, double check the ODBC definition for TDA_Admin making sure that it has the correct information.  Also, double check that this user has all of the permissions/privileges that TDA_Operator has.

• 25.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Apr 07, 2020 01:57 AM
    Hi Billy,

I double checked the ODBC connection it is correct, I have set default db as gtrep also. The test is successful. I guess the error is due to the privileges in TDA_Admin.

What level of privileges Datamaker ideally require for gtrep and scramble databases? Do we have any documentation on that? 

Thanks,
    Aadhavan

• 26.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Apr 15, 2020 11:31 AM
    Hi Billly,

This issue is resolved. turns out it is access issue for the new account. The new account did not have privileges to create views.

• 27.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2020 08:23 AM
    Hi, 
    May be you have upgraded from a older version to new. Also if you have setup a new repository, you have to provide the license key.

It would be good if you log a support ticket. The new version accepts the license from TDM Portal. 

Thanks and Regards,
    Manju

• 28.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Apr 07, 2020 02:14 AM
    Hi Manju, 

We have installed the tool a week back. This is not upgrade. Sure will log a support ticket. If this is related to the access privileges in sql server then  I will check on that first.

• 29.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2020 08:34 AM
    Hi,

The user who is installing the Portal , should have Execution permission on the repository or I would suggest him to be owner of the Database.
    Please email me manjunath.manjunathnarayan@broadcom.com or open support ticket for installation help. I can help you with your questions or help you to install. 

Thanks and Regards,
    Manju

• 30.  RE: Few queries on CA TDM installation

Posted Mar 06, 2020 09:38 AM
    Thank you Manjunath.