Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  VTDM Error while configuring .OVF file in oracle virtual box

Posted Jun 15, 2018 09:10 AM

Hi CA,

We were trying to configure the .OVF file in Oracle but got below error msg.

Need your help to fix this.

Could not create the imported medium 'D:\User\C47609\VirtualBox VMs\vtdm-appliance-8eb5c8fa-a635-4e22-a536-8a9c2211bc01\vtdm-appliance-disk1.vmdk'.
    VMDK: could not create new file 'D:\User\C47609\VirtualBox VMs\vtdm-appliance-8eb5c8fa-a635-4e22-a536-8a9c2211bc01\vtdm-appliance-disk1.vmdk' (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

Result Code:
    VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
    Component:
    ApplianceWrap
    Interface:
    IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}

Thanks

Rajeev Kumar

• 2.  Re: VTDM Error while configuring .OVF file in oracle virtual box

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2018 09:17 AM

Hi,

The vtdm appliance is designed to be used on VMware ESX server and deployed via vcenter and cant be deployed on Oracle virtual box.  do you have access to a vcenter environment?

Regards

Keith

• 3.  Re: VTDM Error while configuring .OVF file in oracle virtual box
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 15, 2018 11:42 AM

Rajeev,

I saw a support case was opened for this question as well - here's the response that I provided in that case:

----

vTDM requires ESX 5.1 per the documentation:
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-test-data-manager/4-5/en/virtual-test-data-management-vtdm/install-and-register-the-vtdm-appliance

In order for the vTDM appliance to perform its operations and do so with the appropriate performance, ESX is required -- forgetting that the desktop based hypervisors aren't supported, they might not perform well enough to provide the vTDM services properly.

With that said, I was able to successfully extract the OVA with 7-Zip: https://www.7-zip.org/

This extracts 4 files:
    vtdm-appliance.mf
    vtdm-appliance.ovf
    vtdm-appliance-disk1.vmdk
    vtdm-appliance-disk2.vmdk

Then installed the appliance via the OVF file in VirtualBox 5.2.12.

The appliance started and I was able to successfully login to the appliance in the VirtualBox console.

**NO** further testing was performed and to reiterate, this is an **UNSUPPORTED** environment.

----

Also, since posting that I also attempted to register the OVA directly without extracting it - this was successful as well. Again, completely unsupported, but it appears to run (run - no further testing was performed).

The only reason why I provide this information about the unsupported scenario is that running the vTDM appliance on a desktop VM may help you do some minimal testing to allow you to provide full requirements within your organization to get a full/proper VM for deployment in production.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Sean