Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  DB Link in GT Subset

Posted Jun 20, 2018 12:46 AM

Hi,

I am working on 2 different Oracle database residing on different servers. Using GT Subset i am trying to subset data from one db (source) to another db (target) using utility "Build SQL Insert Script".

Doubt - it has DB Link as well as Target Database option. Target database selects only the database presents in source while DB link is used for pushing data from source to target. I am not getting it. How will it extract data from source when i am unable to select target database residing on different server.

Thanks,

Ashish

• 2.  Re: DB Link in GT Subset

Posted Jun 21, 2018 01:44 PM

Ashish,

If I understand you problem correctly...

Target Database is the DB / schema name for the target output.

DB Link is needed for inserting into a remote DB. You must create the link before hand:

Database Links 

Per the documentation, this option is slow and not recommended:

Example: Generate Insert Scripts for Oracle from Subset - CA Test Data Manager - 4.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Export / Import scripts might be better suited for your needs:

Samples of Script Files - CA Test Data Manager - 4.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The export script would be run against the source host, and the import script run against the target host.

Hope that helps...

Sean

• 3.  Re: DB Link in GT Subset

Posted Jun 21, 2018 07:42 PM

Thanks for the inputs Sean.

I have one more question.

Which GT Subset utility can be used for inflight masking (masking on the go) from source to target database residing on different servers in oracle.

Thanks,

Ashish

• 4.  Re: DB Link in GT Subset

Posted Jun 21, 2018 08:24 PM

For in-flight masking between servers, you'll want to use Datamaker transformation maps and subset scripts:

Fast Data Masker and Transformation Maps - CA Test Data Manager - 4.5 - CA Technologies Documentation

• 5.  Re: DB Link in GT Subset

Posted Jun 21, 2018 09:53 PM

Datamaker Transformation maps is used for applying the masking logic, using different functions, that is correct and that is going to be used in one of the utility of gt subset.

But my question was which GT Subset utility can be used for inflight masking from source to target database residing on different servers in oracle.

• 6.  Re: DB Link in GT Subset
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 22, 2018 01:57 PM

Ashish,

Per the link I provided (emphasis added):

Using Transformation Maps (In-flight Masking)
    In this case, you use Datamaker transformation maps and Subset scripts. You first define a transformation map (Oracle or MSSQL) in Datamaker, create masking functions for the columns you want to mask. You use the Subset interface to create the masked export scripts. These scripts perform masking as they export the source data to a dump file. The dump file (which contains masked data) is then imported into the target database. Testers can use the same database, which now includes masked data, for testing.

In short:

• Datamaker is used to create the transformation map to define HOW you want to mask the data
    • Subset is used to create MASKED export scripts (and import scripts)
    • Run the export script and the output is MASKED
    • Run the import script to load the masked data into the target

In this scenario, Unmasked data never leaves the source DB. The exported output is masked per the rules and imported pre-masked.

Hope that answers your questions and clarifies things.