Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  How to add masking function to datamaker

Posted Mar 28, 2018 08:33 AM

I read this article, but it doesn't really explain anything: How to Add a Masking Function to your Transformati - CA Knowledge 

What I want to know is how to add my own function, the example uses a function that already exists in datamaker (which seems rather redundant). Can someone please give me a link to documentation on how to do this?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: How to add masking function to datamaker

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 28, 2018 09:11 AM

Hi Ruben,

Here is a link to our documentation on how to create masking functions:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-test-data-manager/4-4/en/reference/data-generation-functions-and-parameters/create-custom-masking-functions

Here's also a youtube video that might help explain some areas of question you might have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_3tAsZt_nY

Hope this helps.

• 3.  Re: How to add masking function to datamaker

Posted Mar 28, 2018 09:15 AM

Thanks, but the link you provided is about writing masking functions for FDM. I'm looking to add a function to a transformation map in datamaker.

• 4.  Re: How to add masking function to datamaker

• 5.  Re: How to add masking function to datamaker

Posted Mar 29, 2018 02:55 AM

I'm terribly sorry to say that it is not... I actually found that part of documentation earlier by myself and it's quite frustrating. It only describes how to create a transformation map, but doesn't describe how to use them (I think I remember this being covered in the training material somewhere). Secondly, there is no description for how any of the masking functions that are available actually work. The descriptions are incredibly vague. And lastly and most importantly, there is still no description on how to add your own masking functions. 

I'm beginning to suspect that this functionality doesn't actually exist, in which case the article I originally quoted is useless and confusing.

• 6.  Re: How to add masking function to datamaker
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2018 01:17 PM

Currently you can only create new masking functions in FDM and not Datamaker. The link you quoted outlines the steps to add masking functions present in Datamaker that are missing in Transformation Map's drop down list for a specific database and not for creating a new one and hence it uses a function which is already available.