Harvest

View Only
  • 1.  Question - Shared views in Harvest

Posted Mar 03, 2021 07:41 AM
    Hi,

I don't think I fully understand views in Harvest. OK, I read the documentation, and understand that a view determines what users can see in each state. What I don't understand, is why you would share a view across different states. For example, the Production Model shares the Production View over the Development, Emergency and Production states. If I now make a change on the Development state, and do an HRefresh on the Production state, my reference directories for Production will also be updated without me having to move the change through the life cycle.

Am I seeing this wrong, or implementing it in the wrong way?

Kind regards,
    Jarus

• 2.  RE: Question - Shared views in Harvest
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 04, 2021 01:20 PM
    Hi Jarus,

The way the "Production" model is configured, all updates are pulled from the Production view but onto a branch. Hrefresh won't see the new changes until the branch is merged to the trunk and promoted to the "Production" state thereby updating the view in Production.

If you look at the overall model you will see a "Merge" state/view which is not shared with the "Production". Keep in mind that all development must be done on a branch to avoid the condition you described.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Regards,

Milt

• 3.  RE: Question - Shared views in Harvest

Posted Mar 05, 2021 12:32 AM
    Hi Milton,

Thank you, your answer describes the functioning thoroughly.

We have been using a very simple tool for the past 20 years which we've tailored to best suit our needs, but it does not incorporate the concept of trunks and branches (the functionality is not available at all), so I still have to shift my mind in that direction. It seems for Applications that have been in a maintenance state for years, this is definitely the best approach and we simply have to make sure that we apply the trunk-and-branch model properly.

Your response is appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Jarus