To the CA Harvest installed server, we are connecting with CA Harvest client/workbench with either machine name or IP Address.
Recently, we changed the machine name of the server (windows server 2008 R2).
Then after, the Harvest is not connecting.
When we check the broker service on the server, it is not running.
When we tried to start, we are getting error as
When I checked the eventviewer, it is showing as sufficient storage not available, but we have more than sufficient RAM and Hard disk free space.
Any suggestions how to resolve this and what are the steps need to be followed when we want to change the server name
I tried the option posted by RicardoBernardino at Broker service wont start
Changed/set the environemnt variable RT_FORCE_NODE_NAME to the new machine name.
It is working now.
Thank you so much
Now, this is raised another problem.
The broker service is running now.
But when I connect to workbench.It is giving error as credentials are wrong.
Even from same machine and tried with hostname,ipaddress and lopback address in place of broker name.
Changes I have done to the Harvest machine:
1. Changed the machine name.(server 2008 R2)
2. Changed the env.variable RT_FORCE_NODE_NAME to new value
Please let me know what are the new changes need to do.