Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Action ROC – Replace Tokens in Files doesn't work with lots of tokens configured

Posted Sep 17, 2019 03:29 PM

We are facing issues with action "ROC – Replace Tokens in Files" while running a deployment. One of the deployment steps includes using the action "ROC – Replace Tokens in Files" to modify a config file and replace token placeholders in it with token values. The action and step is failing due to a couple of issues highlighted below.

Token read limit :
    While executing the ROC – Replace Token in Files action, Nolio reads the token values defined under the Parameters -> Token section. We have more than 50 tokens defined and Nolio seems to have some limit on the number of characters when reading the token values. The limit seems to be around 4100 characters while reading the tokens and hence Nolio is only able to fetch 11 token values in our setup and fails. The action will throw an error and go into failed-paused state if the limit on reading is reached and a token closing tag hasn't been found.

Token Value Character Limit : Nolio seems to have a limit on the number of characters for the value of a string token. There are some tokens where we would need the values to exceed 4000 characters for the config file. This issue is quite simple to reproduce, in the Environments -> Parameter Configuration -> Tokens screen, with a string token already defined, try to enter a long value into the string token field, at some point the value will not change with any keystrokes. There is no error message or warning at this limit, which is particularly invisible when copy and pasting a value into the UI. However, you do get an error message if you try and load a token manifest with a value larger than the limit. The error message that gets show is:
    Failed to load manifest: String or binary data would be truncated.; SQL [n/a]; nested exception is org.hibernate.exception.DataException: String or binary data would be truncated.

Has anyone seen these issues and/or found a workaround for them?

• 2.  RE: Action ROC – Replace Tokens in Files doesn't work with lots of tokens configured

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2019 04:00 AM
    Hi Luke,

Thank you for your mail.

The latest version of CARA 6.6 has the fixes I believe you need around tokens.

Please, could you provide more details into your scenario?

• What customer site ID do you represent?
    • What version of CARA are you using? Major and Minor version?
    • Are you are of our release cycles and document portal? (for your Release Automation using SOAP/REST query, and more information, please look at the tech docs below)

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/release-automation-nolio/6-6/getting-started.html
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/product-content/status/support-life-cycle/indexes/ca-release-automation-release-and-support-lifecycle-dates.html?r=2&r=1&r=1
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/release-automation-nolio/Integrations.html

@Gregg Stewart and @Saurabh Jain, please can you provide further support if needed around tokens.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Gouttierre Gomes

Product Owner | Nolio | Enterprise Software Division

Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Action ROC – Replace Tokens in Files doesn't work with lots of tokens configured

Posted Nov 22, 2019 06:09 PM
    We are on version 6.6.0.10197. We recently upgraded to this patch version.

I'm from Barclays, site ID 531886

I'm aware of the release cycles and KB documentation available. I don't think any of the KB documentation is relevant to this particular issue. I've just confirmed on our  6.6.0.10197 instance and I can still see the second of the issues described in my original post, the one about token value character limit.

I'm not able to confirm on the first of these issues at the moment, I'll need to reach out to the user who first reported this issue to me to see if they can reproduce the error now that we're on 6.6.0.10197.

• 4.  RE: Action ROC – Replace Tokens in Files doesn't work with lots of tokens configured
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 25, 2019 05:55 PM
    Hi @Gouttierre Gomes and @Luke Randall,

The token val char limit, last time I looked has a limitation of 1024 characters (seem to go in the database rc_token_definition -> DEFAULTVALUE). I haven't personally tried to load a token manifest with values that are larger than that. We should probably document maximum characters for tokens and figure out appropriate limits if these aren't sufficient. 

Regarding the first issue described, I'll need to test and see what I can find out. 

Kind regards,
    Gregg
    ​​