Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  new version of the release parameter for every release

Posted Dec 16, 2019 08:14 AM
    Hi  - I have a deployment plan that deploys a version of the artifact onto the servers. I have used a release parameter for the artifact version. The value gets updated by importing a manifest file during the deployment.

However,  during the next deployment, I will have to deploy a newer version of the artifact. In case I forget to upload a manifest file, the tool just uses the last manifest file that was uploaded thereby deploying the wrong version.

Is there any way to clear the release parameter or force the upload a new manifest file everytime?

I do not want to use any user input parameters as I want to schedule deployments during the night and there should be no user interaction.

• 2.  RE: new version of the release parameter for every release
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 16, 2019 10:14 AM
    Hi Sandeep,

Others with more practical experience might be able to advise on a different approach. But I think one option would be to use a deployment template to create the deployment plan for each release. That way if it tries to deploy the (newly created) deployment plan without a manifest it would result in errors. 

Kind regards,
    Gregg

• 3.  RE: new version of the release parameter for every release

Posted Dec 16, 2019 06:16 PM
    Hi Gregg,

Thank you for the reply.

However, we do 4-5 deployments a day. Creating a new depolyment plan every time might become unmanageable.

I can see that there is a built in action called "ROC - Assign Manifest to Deployment Plan". I tried the following - 
      - Uploaded a manifest to remote repo.
      - Download the manifest and using it in ROC - Assign Manifest to Deployment Plan action

During the first run, the deployment plan throws an error that the release parameter is not defined. I am forced to upload a manifest file to the deployment plan using the "load manifest " option. In this case the plan uses the version uploaded to the deployment plan not the one in the repo.

During the second run, It looks like the plan is using the manifest in the repo. I have updated the manifest in the repo with a newer version and ran the plan a 3rd
    time. However this time it used the manifest that was used in the second run.

It would be best if I could clear the release parameter during the post deployment step. I tried using the "ROC - Clear parameter" action for this. However, It complaints that it can find the parameter. Here is a screenshot of the parameter and the settings that I am using for the Clear parameter action.

Release Parameter.

Clear Parameter Action