Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Internal vs User Parameter

Posted Jan 21, 2020 03:24 PM
    I just ran into an issue where I have an internal parameter pre-set in CARA/Nolio and an action to fetch the parameter value from the deployment which is set to fail if that param value is null.
    For a deployment that doesn't have the param defined, the action fails, as expected, and seems to nullify the default value of the param during runtime. This causes any usage of that param later on to stall indefinitely (as it's an internal param that's now null).

When I instead update the param to be User-defined, with the exact same setup, the action fails, as expected, and doesn't update the runtime param (which is the ideal case.. if my param doesn't have a value set in my deployment, I want it to use the default value set).

Why the difference?
    Why do the internal params nullify instead of not updating the value at all like for User params?
    Is this a bug or the expected result? If it's not a bug, why is it set up like this?

• 2.  RE: Internal vs User Parameter

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2020 04:28 AM
    Hi Kevin,
     What is the version of CARA you are using?

Which action you are using for updating/setting the internal Parameters?

As much I remember there was a scenario where if parameter doesn't exist and step fetching same is executed will be set to null by default. However, I would like to have the above information to validate the same.

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Saurabh
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Internal vs User Parameter
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2020 09:27 AM
    Hi Kevin,

In addition to what Saurabh is asking - I am familiar with this KB article: https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=8888
    Based on this article it is kind of surprising that updating the parameter to be User-defined changes the behavior. I wonder if doing that maybe switches the value from null to blank. 

Kind regards,
    Gregg