Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot install agent on Windows because previous installation/removal was not completed

• 1.  Cannot install agent on Windows because previous installation/removal was not completed

Posted Jan 30, 2020 03:36 PM
    I'm trying to upgrade some agents which are installed on Windows but instead of using the built-in upgrade functionality which can be triggered from Nolio centrally I'm trying to uninstall an old agent and then install the latest agent in its place.

I'm executing all the uninstall and install commands on the command line because this is part of development of a automated process for agent upgrade we're developing.

There's an agent installed at D:\Data\Nolio\NolioAgent on a windows server (version 6.5.0.10007) and I run the following command to uninstall the agent:

start /wait D:\Data\Nolio\NolioAgent\uninstall.exe -q -console

Which seems to complete successfully, return code is 0, no error messages thrown. All the files under the agent installation folder are removed except conf\nimi_config.xml. This file is left behind, I think this is because this file was edited after the agent was installed originally.

Then I try to run the following command to install agent (version 6.6.0.9640). nolio_agent_installer.exe is the renamed installer file which ships with the Nolio product nolio_agent_windows_6_6_0_b9640.exe:

nolio_agent_installer.exe -q -dir "D:\Data\Nolio\NolioAgent" -varfile agent1.agent.response.varfile

The varfile contains sensible installation defaults which have been used successfully for many agent installs.

Running the command it errors and gives the output:

The installation/removal of a previous program was not completed. You will need to restart your computer to complete that installation.
    After restarting your computer, run Setup again to complete the installation of Release Automation Agent 6.6.0.b9640.

What is the installer finding on the server that makes it think that the previous uninstall hasn't completed yet? The uninstall command has definitely finished running. Is there any way I can get around this without restarting the server? Restarting these servers isn't really an option to consider in the process of developing this new process I mentioned above. We don't want to use the built-in upgrade functionality in Nolio to push out upgrades because there have been a number of issues with this process in recent versions.

• 2.  RE: Cannot install agent on Windows because previous installation/removal was not completed
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2020 05:01 AM
    Hi Luke, 
    I tried to validate it and unable to find the same. 

However, sometime I have noticed this error come on Windows server when the service are in a process of stopping and haven't completed yet. In such case if you want to run the installer a similar message is shown.

In that case the way I used is removing the process/service from task manager using end-task.

Also if there are some error in event-viewer you can share that would be great to review to understand the exact cause of issue.

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Saurabh
    ------------------------------