Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  deploy docker container or docker-app through CARA Artifact Management

Posted Oct 04, 2018 10:51 AM

Hi,

How is it possible to deploy Docker container or Docker app using CA RA Artifact Management ?

What I mean is that :

- I need to get my Docker App informations in the component "artifacts" collection so that I can loop on the different elements I have to deploy,

- I falcutatively need to see my Docker App references in the artifact package (but it would be preferable to have it),

- I do no want Docker apps to be distributed since it is not the way Docker works.

How can I achieve this ?

Regards.

• 2.  Re: deploy docker container or docker-app through CARA Artifact Management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2018 02:20 PM

Hello,

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding the use case. As you said, docker images are not distributed via a simple file transfer. When you run a job that is associated with artifacts it is going to look to "distribute" the artifact to all of the appropriate agent systems. What is your expectation for this piece? 

What kind of loop are you looking to do, is it data based (if so, what kind of data)? 

I setup a workflow some time ago to build docker images with new versions of a piece of software. It probably wouldn't be considered your traditional kind of docker image. But once it was built it would publish it to an Artifactory docker repo. I created a shared component to handle my interactions with docker and git (which is where the dockerfiles were stored). 

I'd thought about creating an artifact for certain images to include docker-compose.yml files for environments that I wanted to deploy. But I decided against it for some reason. I can't recall why. 

Kind regards,

Gregg

• 3.  Re: deploy docker container or docker-app through CARA Artifact Management

Posted Oct 05, 2018 09:05 AM

Hi,
    And thank you for your answer.
    The fact is that we are going to deploy, via a CA RA Application, some components which are stored in a Nexus repo and others that are in a Docker Registry.
    What I would like is to see in the built plan, in the artifact package, all the components that are going to be deployed. Else Ops do not know what is in the deployed Release.

But I do not know how to make appear Docker components in the artifact package.The other point is that I would like to design a shared component to deploy docker component and as we do for others technologies, I would like to be able to loop over the artifact collection.

I know I could loop over my Release manifest file to find Docker components and deploy them, but they would not appear in the artifact package attached to the deployment plan and Ops would lose information.

So to simplify my question, is there a way to make appear Docker components in the artifact package attached to a deployment plan ?

Regards.

• 4.  Re: deploy docker container or docker-app through CARA Artifact Management
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2018 09:29 PM

Hi,

I don't have any experience of Docker, so my understanding maybe wrong.

RA artifact is managed as a file, but it doesn't have the individual information depended on the file like additional properties . So, I suppose you need to manage info of docker image outside artifact if you want to get the image info without deploy the image. 

Did you check Docker action pack?  I'm not sure, but Idea to manage Docker image as artifact may not be good.

If Docker action pack cannot cover your requirement, please raise an idea.

Docker v2 - CA Release Automation - Integrations - CA Technologies Documentation 

You can also execute Docker command from RA using "Run Command Line" action type and manage property info with text files.

Regards

Yas